Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 Ninja 250 and I'm not getting any spark at all from either plug. Most likely cause seems to be a problem with the ignition coils. I was just wondering first off, is it possible for both coils to go bad at the same time? or does the other not work if one goes bad because the circuit is broken? And does anyone know how to test an ignition coil without using that special kawi tool mentioned in the service manual? Can I somehow just do it with a voltmeter?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
You should have specs for the primary and secondary winding readings. Use an ohm meter to get those readings. The procedure and specs are in the manual.

The chances of both coils going bad at the same time are slim, but I guess it could happen. Was this a sudden failure? If so, I'd suspect something farther up the line that feeds both coils as the problem, but you should check the coils first to confirm them not being the source of the problem.

·
Registered
720 Posts
First thing you should try is sticking your tongue to the battery terminals and see if it tingles. if you feel nothing you don't need to worry about the coils
That's terrible advice..don't listen to him. You should never mix "wet" things with electrical parts. Attach each battery electrode to your balls instead.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should have specs for the primary and secondary winding readings. Use an ohm meter to get those readings. The procedure and specs are in the manual.

The chances of both coils going bad at the same time are slim, but I guess it could happen. Was this a sudden failure? If so, I'd suspect something farther up the line that feeds both coils as the problem, but you should check the coils first to confirm them not being the source of the problem.
I'm not quite sure, what happened was my friend was riding the bike and he said that it suddenly started to lose power, he thought it was running out of gas since the gas was low. He pulled it into a gas station and put some gas into it, but ever since then it wouldn't start. What other things on the bike would you recommend me checking if anything?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First thing you should try is sticking your tongue to the battery terminals and see if it tingles. if you feel nothing you don't need to worry about the coils
Are you serious or is this a joke? I just got a new battery and spark plugs, so I know that neither of those are the cause. The bike also cranks over easily, it just won't start because there's no spark to light the fuel.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
don't be silly. you have to disconnect it first. see picture for demo

(i hear 250's run off of 9v batteries so it shouldn't be to hard to touch both terminals with your tongue)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
don't be silly. you have to disconnect it first. see picture for demo

(i hear 250's run off of 9v batteries so it shouldn't be to hard to touch both terminals with your tongue)
Hmm...I don't think so, 250's use the 12V 7LB battery, its small, but still too big to touch my tongue to both ends.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
What other things on the bike would you recommend me checking if anything?
there should be a troubleshooting flow diagram at the start of the electrical section in the service manual. it tells you which components to check, step by step.

I wouldn't put my balls across the terminals... but then, that's just me. :eek:

·
Registered
65 Posts
This might sound crazy but listen to what we did yesterday to get this 1984 Honda XR80 to run. We worked on for a while. Took the carb apart cleaned it. Messed around with some other stuff and the spark plug. The spark plug wasn't sparking. So I called the Honda place and they wanted $82 for a ignition coil. We said screw that. So after a while of being frustrated we were going to hook a rope or chain to a truck and pull it down the street to get it started. We thought that might be a lil dangerous. So we hooked a strap to another Suzuki JR 80 and pulled it. After the 3rd try it fired up and been running since. Not sure if it will mess anything up and it was a liltte dangerous but it got it started.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You must have fixed your spark problem at some point cause you can pull start it all day and without spark it will not run.

But remix I would say listen to kklim and test your coil that way. Other than that make sure all your connections are tight and free of dirt or water. I once changed out a stator thinking it was my last possible culprit before realizing that one of the plugs going into my cdi was not plugged in all the way and was causing intermittent spark.

·
Registered
389 Posts
check and make sure you even have 12v at the input of the coil when you're cranking it over.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts