Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno if you guys call it alternator, generator, stator etc... but after a long trip my bike doesnt want to start again. I have to recharge my battery. How would i go about testing the generator?

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
I'd first make sure the battery is good. Just because the battery has 12V or so across the terminals does not mean it's good. Take the battery to an auto parts store and have it tested. It's a free service that only takes a few minutes. This will allow you to eliminate or verify the functionality of the battery before you tear into the stator cover to test the stator.

As far as testing the stator, you need to first find out how much resistance there is supposed to be through it. A stator is nothing more than a coiled up copper wire, so for the size and length of the wire used, there will be a certain amount of resistance between the two terminals. If I were a betting man, I'd venture to guess there's about 60 ohms across that....like I said, it's only a guess based on similar sized solenoids and whatnot that I've worked on in the past. The actual value shouldn't be too hard to find I don't think. It may or may not be in your service manual.

But yeah, get the battery tested first. If it's bad, then you can likely get a replacement at the same auto parts store. Have them pour in the acid and do a slow charge on it for you (another free service). It should take about 6 hours or so to fully charge at 0.5 amps. Test the battery in the morning, that way you can get a new battery by the late afternoon if it turns out you need one...my ZZR take a 9BS battery, and it fits fine in my 03/04 ZX6R subframe, but I'd still check. Should be printed on top of the battery which model it is. Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LarryJ I appreciate the feedback. I have a charger at home but it doesnt test... so i will charge it and take it in to see if it is faulty. if it is i will get a battery, if not, then on to the next step.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was having a similar problem with my stator as well, it would start but not hold and die. I tested the battery and it was bad so i bought a new one and it still wouldn't hold. I have the service manual and it has a few ways to test it in there, but im pretty sure my problem was a connection, because we had to unplug the stator and the regulator rectifier to test them seperatley, and they all did what they were supposed to by themselves but plugged in they didnt, however after testing them all seperatly and we re-connected the plugs, it works fine. I've also heard of the connection melting on some bikes too so you might wanna check that as well, If you want PM me and I'll go a head and look up in the manual (I don't have it handy or else i'd just tell you know) what exactly i had to do to test everything and rule out problems. There's no sense in buying a new stator if it isn't the problem! Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for a response myninja636. I ended up wrecking my bike last month and have been healing so haven't had time. Gunna post a thread about certain parts i need soon then get to the electrical system last lol but i'll make sure to hit you up if I need some troubleshooting tips

1 - 5 of 5 Posts