Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to maryland this weekend to see family and my sister wants me to bring my bike i have a newer dodge ram 1500 so it will fit in the bed but i dont know how to get it up there even with ramps i think it might scrape underneath, so i was looking at uhaul and they have a motorcycle trailer for 15$ a day but then i read it can only go 45 mph well screw that im going from ny to md its over 3 hours and im not going to go 45 i want to be going 70 - 75 so is that speed a real thing or just bs,so any tips would really be appreciated!!![?]

·
Registered
278 Posts
Don't believe that 45mph.....thats just for liability. I've moved cars with u-haul dollies a bunch and sure they are rated for 45mph, but they sure do cruise nicely at 80mph.

If there's a loading dock anywhere near you, you can back the truck up to the dock and ride the bike on. Or I've heard of just using a ditch and backing the truck into the ditch. Getting off gotta do the same thing if you don't have ramps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
hey bro i dont know how much you're willing to spend especially if it's gonna be a one shot deal, but i had a similar situation (drove from FL to Delaware) and i ended up buying a utility trailer and a wheel stop all for about $800 ... made the drive up at 80-90 mph with no problems
-good luck!-

·
Registered
409 Posts
Originally posted by zeuseason
Don't believe that 45mph.....thats just for liability. I've moved cars with u-haul dollies a bunch and sure they are rated for 45mph, but they sure do cruise nicely at 80mph.

If there's a loading dock anywhere near you, you can back the truck up to the dock and ride the bike on. Or I've heard of just using a ditch and backing the truck into the ditch. Getting off gotta do the same thing if you don't have ramps.
[:+1] I trailered my ZX-10 from NC to DE on a U-Haul MC trailer and was cruising around 80 the whole time. Make sure you have it strapped down good and check it when you stop - it will be fine.

·
Registered
488 Posts
if you have ramps place bike on top of the curve and use ramp from top of curve to the back of truck. this way your angle won't be as steep. also start your bike place it in 1st gear and let go of clutch slowly and walk it upthe ramp not ride it. make sure you have some in the back just in case the bike rolls back, it shouldn't since you can always brake it before that happens. save your money and use the ramps. I have a nissan quest(mini van) and i always use it to transport my 05 636 (inside). best to you![8D]

·
Registered
77 Posts
damn i just trailered my 636 from austin today,rode it up there for the weekend, its about a 4-5 hr ride but it was fun but wasnt about to do the ride back.i bought a trailer my buddy found from some dude that trailered his 4 wheeler and his dirt bikes but didnt use it anymore was like brand new. bike fits just perfect but it doesnt have a tail gate,it has a pin underneath that lets the trailer bed swivel so its got its own ramp,just drive it up then it just goes back down by its self pretty sweet,especially cause i got it for $150.00. i just strapped it done from the front forks and then two from the swing arm was strapped in solid. i did from 70-90 mph and it was smooth. [}:)]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dude, use your pickup. Buy or borrow a ramp and get your buddy/brother to help you mount it. It is much easier, cheaper and safer to ride with your bike on the pickup than on a trailer. If you only had a car or suv ok, but you've got a bed on that pickup, use it!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I've done the ditch thing, and it works just fine. Many motorcycle shops have large concrete ramps and with my experience they don't mind at all if you come to load up a bike.

Also, a bike only weighs what, 400lbs? im sure 3 or 4 people could lift it into a truck easily. I know we used to do that with ATVs all the time.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I'm more comfortable loading onto trailers, but feel that it's safer to travel with it in the back of a truck if at all possible.

Get you an enclosed trailer and don't look back

·
Registered
505 Posts
i used a dirt bike ramp to put mine in the back it was one that folds up. Didnt have any scraping issues either. The truck we used was a mazda b3000 and it was an 8 hour drive with the bike. But im sure your truck has a bigger bed then my mazda lol we had to have the tailgate down and let the tire sit on it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
you cant ride your bike??? Just a thought

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
shit man a 3 hour drive... thats nothing man... little more than an afternoon cruise.. PLUS if you put some thought into it, i bet you can map out a good route through some small towns and back roads...

·
Registered
276 Posts
me and my buddy loaded his R6 into a truck with no ramp, we just picked up the front wheel and put it on the tail gate then picked up the back and rolled it in. but if you have a loading area or a ramp it is very easy to get a bike onto a truck.

·
Registered
218 Posts
go to a lumber yard a get a 8ft piece of 2x8. The longer your ramp the less step the angle would be. I used this to put my bike on the back of a jack up pick up with no problems.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You have a truck use it. If the angle's bad think and do something about it. Figure it out. How did you ever figure out how to tie your shoes. Good thing they make velcro. Good luck.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Just loaded mine on my Dodge pickup about 15 mins ago for the first time. Found a steep hill, backed up and rode on. No problems at all. Did it all alone, strapped it down with Canyon Dancers on the front and off the passenger pegs on the rear. About to hit the road home to VA for a few days, just thought I'd haul it to save me some rubber on my bike (and also it's raining) [:p]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im gonna use my truck but i need a ramp and im not riding cause my wife doesnt like to ride on the back for a long time and i have to bring stuff up like presents for the neice!! the ramp i was looking at is a 90" by 12 " ramp but it dont fold but for $134 i get two my bed is only 6 and a half ft long thought so what should i do and nobody has the folding ones around here in time for friday when i leave

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.