Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Start with some first gear wheelies by revving up to around 8k, drop the throttle right off then snap it w.o.t. and watch it lift for ya. Once you get the knack of it you'll be riding out first gear. Then try some in second, or clutching some up in second.

Find an old backroad to start on with little or no traffic, just keep practicing 'em. Once you got 'em down, you can be like me and just wheelie every once in a while, or go learn from guys like BTB Wheelie Pimp or MiniTryker to get REAL good.

·
Registered
401 Posts
i tried that it comes up maybe a 1' or 1.5' then comes down and just goes faster.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have tried a few ways to get it up, but cant keep it up, whats the best way

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try rolling your wrist further forward on the throttle and if you're running a 636 and crack it wot you will not have a problem lofting the front end. I weigh 220 pounds and it's a snap for me. Try watching your tach until you get a feel for where that 8k rpm sweet spot is... rev just past 8k then chop off-on fairly quick. You'll compress the forks and get extra help from them lifting the front on accel... just keep practicing.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Also, Dont try to pull up on your handelbars. keep your arms, elbos, and hands nice and loose. Dont be scared to give it some gas. Get her to 8,000 RPM's. Since your not using the clutch at all, there's no way you can loop it. When you first start getting it up a little, your insticts will automatically back off on the throttle.

Sidenote: If you do wheelies alot you should get a steering damper. Especially if you have an '03.

·
Registered
401 Posts
OK, i can get it up, but can't keep it up for long. will the 03 go up in second without the clutch, i don't think i'm ready to use the clutch yet. I tried it, it comes up to fast.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
yes but then you have to bounce it and thats harder than clutching if you dont know how to wheelie.

·
Registered
512 Posts
for the 03 don't shut the throttle off and then wot up that high in the rpm's, she will come up too fast and too high. about between 9 and 10000, just open her up about half way, then you can feel it come up, more throttle on as necessary, little by little.

as for second she will come up without clutch, you are up around 12000, but I am not looking at my tach, just going by engine noise, and you have to shut throttle then wot, with slight tug on bars,not much, you also need to only have about a gallon of gas in her not anymore, other then that, bouncing and clutching id the only way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You will find it easier if you don't have a full tank and cheap by getting your butt farther back in the seat to *ahem* aide weight transfer.

Don

·
Registered
401 Posts
ok, i can get it up in 1st all the time with just the throttle, no bouncing, but. sometimes it comes up slow, and others it jumps up really fast, and others it starts slow for a few inches then jumps up super fast like i'm going to loop it.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by mac

ok, i can get it up in 1st all the time with just the throttle, no bouncing, but. sometimes it comes up slow, and others it jumps up really fast, and others it starts slow for a few inches then jumps up super fast like i'm going to loop it.
Wheelying off throttle is all about throttle control, which is all about practice and experience (seat time).

If you really want to become an expert, keep at it (and save up for fork seals and bearings)... ;)

The "cover the rear brake" suggestion, as always, is a good one.

·
Registered
401 Posts
i landed hard a couple times b/c i came up too fast so i let off the throttle. How should my suspension up front be set to minimize wear and tear from that

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unless you plan to make a living stunting... I wouldn't.

Set the bike up for where it's most important - the type of riding you typically do. If you plan on spending some extra time practicing wheelies, then you can bump up the compression a little bit to withstand some hard landings if you want. But unless you are focussing on just doing wheelies, it's more important to have the suspension set up to suit your RIDING.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Originally posted by tommyboynjataol

Also, Dont try to pull up on your handelbars. keep your arms, elbos, and hands nice and loose. Dont be scared to give it some gas. Get her to 8,000 RPM's. Since your not using the clutch at all, there's no way you can loop it. When you first start getting it up a little, your insticts will automatically back off on the throttle.

Sidenote: If you do wheelies alot you should get a steering damper. Especially if you have an '03.

SEE I thought u could loop any wheelie but after reading this i doubted myself so whos right tommy or the wizz i think any wheelie can be looped because i weigh 120 lbs and i know if i sit back on the seat and smack the throttle she will come up veryyy high

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think Tommy just meant that with an unexperienced rider, using the clutch can be unpredictable and you could loop over with just the initial snap of the clutch. With powering up wheelies, your wrist comes off the gas way before you loop usually, especially when first trying them. So the possibility of looping is very low unless you get on it and don't let off or got huge nuts and want your bike to do cartwheels as you get back up off the ground.

·
Registered
105 Posts
is wheelying a 98 Zx6R as easy or as hard, depends which angle u look at it, as wheelying a 03 zx6r? does that extra 37 centi's really make a diffrence?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.