Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

how to wheelie my 03' 636

11K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  nolimit x-treme 
#1 ·
Start with some first gear wheelies by revving up to around 8k, drop the throttle right off then snap it w.o.t. and watch it lift for ya. Once you get the knack of it you'll be riding out first gear. Then try some in second, or clutching some up in second.

Find an old backroad to start on with little or no traffic, just keep practicing 'em. Once you got 'em down, you can be like me and just wheelie every once in a while, or go learn from guys like BTB Wheelie Pimp or MiniTryker to get REAL good.

#5 ·
Try rolling your wrist further forward on the throttle and if you're running a 636 and crack it wot you will not have a problem lofting the front end. I weigh 220 pounds and it's a snap for me. Try watching your tach until you get a feel for where that 8k rpm sweet spot is... rev just past 8k then chop off-on fairly quick. You'll compress the forks and get extra help from them lifting the front on accel... just keep practicing.

#6 ·
Also, Dont try to pull up on your handelbars. keep your arms, elbos, and hands nice and loose. Dont be scared to give it some gas. Get her to 8,000 RPM's. Since your not using the clutch at all, there's no way you can loop it. When you first start getting it up a little, your insticts will automatically back off on the throttle.

Sidenote: If you do wheelies alot you should get a steering damper. Especially if you have an '03.

#7 ·
OK, i can get it up, but can't keep it up for long. will the 03 go up in second without the clutch, i don't think i'm ready to use the clutch yet. I tried it, it comes up to fast.

#9 ·
for the 03 don't shut the throttle off and then wot up that high in the rpm's, she will come up too fast and too high. about between 9 and 10000, just open her up about half way, then you can feel it come up, more throttle on as necessary, little by little.

as for second she will come up without clutch, you are up around 12000, but I am not looking at my tach, just going by engine noise, and you have to shut throttle then wot, with slight tug on bars,not much, you also need to only have about a gallon of gas in her not anymore, other then that, bouncing and clutching id the only way.

#12 ·
ok, i can get it up in 1st all the time with just the throttle, no bouncing, but. sometimes it comes up slow, and others it jumps up really fast, and others it starts slow for a few inches then jumps up super fast like i'm going to loop it.

#13 ·
Originally posted by mac

ok, i can get it up in 1st all the time with just the throttle, no bouncing, but. sometimes it comes up slow, and others it jumps up really fast, and others it starts slow for a few inches then jumps up super fast like i'm going to loop it.
Wheelying off throttle is all about throttle control, which is all about practice and experience (seat time).

If you really want to become an expert, keep at it (and save up for fork seals and bearings)... ;)

The "cover the rear brake" suggestion, as always, is a good one.

#15 ·
Unless you plan to make a living stunting... I wouldn't.

Set the bike up for where it's most important - the type of riding you typically do. If you plan on spending some extra time practicing wheelies, then you can bump up the compression a little bit to withstand some hard landings if you want. But unless you are focussing on just doing wheelies, it's more important to have the suspension set up to suit your RIDING.

#18 ·
Originally posted by tommyboynjataol

Also, Dont try to pull up on your handelbars. keep your arms, elbos, and hands nice and loose. Dont be scared to give it some gas. Get her to 8,000 RPM's. Since your not using the clutch at all, there's no way you can loop it. When you first start getting it up a little, your insticts will automatically back off on the throttle.

Sidenote: If you do wheelies alot you should get a steering damper. Especially if you have an '03.

SEE I thought u could loop any wheelie but after reading this i doubted myself so whos right tommy or the wizz i think any wheelie can be looped because i weigh 120 lbs and i know if i sit back on the seat and smack the throttle she will come up veryyy high

#19 ·
I think Tommy just meant that with an unexperienced rider, using the clutch can be unpredictable and you could loop over with just the initial snap of the clutch. With powering up wheelies, your wrist comes off the gas way before you loop usually, especially when first trying them. So the possibility of looping is very low unless you get on it and don't let off or got huge nuts and want your bike to do cartwheels as you get back up off the ground.

#21 ·
Everyone always says cover the rear break.. thats just about impossible, especialy when your a squid, and still scared to death of doing a wheelie. The compression of the bikes is great enough that if you just let of the throttle.. and any point.. your wheel will come RIGHT down, hitting the break in a panic could cause your tire to lock, and your bust the shit out of your forks when you hit the ground all hard.

to Blitz n green: It's not the 37cc's that are gonna make the big difference, it's the throttle response difference between carbuerated and fuel injected machines, the difference if big enough that someone on a 01, is gonna be workin the throttle a bit different that a 03.
but what do i know. i'm just workin on stoppies first....
d by the way.. WTF does w.o.t stand for?

#22 ·
i started this topic trying to do 1st gear wheelies. Now I can ride them pretty far until the limiter kicks in, i guess i'm not high enough. I read a few places that the 636 can wheelie in second at 10-11k off just throttle, but its not working for me. Does anyone have any good instructions how to bounce it up.

#23 ·
on my 01 i can bounce it up anywhere from 7-10k rpm.. i have to stand to do it... i have never lifted the tire in second while sittin down.. use the same method as you do in first but bounce the forks a little more and stand up at the same time.. i imagine your bike will lift much easier since its the 03 model...

deftone636 w.o.t. meant "wide open throttle"

#26 ·
if you rev the bike to 8k and drop the clutch from a dead stop, you wont do a wheelie. You'll do a backflip. They're saying to ride down the road at 8k, whatever speed that puts you at. Ive launched racing a few times at revs much lower than 8k (probably about 4k) and let the clutch out too fast and damn near looped it, would have if I didnt let off right when i felt it coming up. Even reacting right away it pretty much 12 oclocked. Very bad idea to drop the clutch from a start...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.