Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
merely asking if I'm on the right track, position wise..

I really really really want to do track days.. but I can't afford it quite yet.. gimme some time :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Try and use your lower back to support your body not so much arms, also get on the balls of your feet. The peg scrapers look to be in the middle of your feet.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice replies! thanks guys :D I really appreciate your comments

here's another one from the side.. same turn, but not same time!

·
Registered
995 Posts
The reason why I say relax, is you look like me. :) I crashed a few months ago, so I'm trying to rebuild my confidence, and I feel stiff at the bars.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
funny part is I guess I'm stiff.. I don't completely trust my tires... I don't have that much chicken strips, but that's easy to get rid of.. I'm always scared that my rear tire will loose it's grip because I'm too leaned (is that the word?, also not talking about these pictures)

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
if your tires are in good shape and warm and the road is clean you shouldnt be to worried about the tires lack of grip...They will hold, also check the air pressure in them something most dont do, as it plays a part in your confidence and FEEL of the bike.

practice is also a Big one, whihc you asking for some help, is a good thing,,,any chance of an experienced rider to ride with?
you can learn ALOT in on afternoon of riding with a experienced older rider with track & street time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, you still have a long ways to go young grasshopper, but it all comes with time. The street is a nice place to work on body position, and that is definately something I recommend you do. Work on getting you ass more off the seat, on the balls of your feet, lower the upper body, drop your arms so your outside arm rests on the tank, look thru the turn more (you look like you are staring at the ground), and most importantly, just relax. No need to go fast, no need to try and increase your lean angle, you dont need any of that on the street, in fact its dangerous. Work on body position first. When you are more comfortable with that, then try a track day. Its just baby steps, no need to rush.

Edit: Pay no attention to my Ben Spies impersonation. I have no idea what my elbow was doing in this photo.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah baby steps is what I'm taking lol. I'm really surprised by your comments guys.. never thought you could teach me that much with only those few pics

it's my fourth year street riding.. third bike...

as for an experienced rider... Blackflys is my teacher :p but no track days yet.. actually we're thinking about doing the FAST riding school up here to try it out..

I just started this year getting a little off the seat, not quite comfortable yet.. still feels unprecise while in the turn, because I'm still often ajusting while taking the turn. and it's true I still look too much at the ground.. can't help it though..our roads are really crappy lol.. My gf is taking her riding lessons(For her liscence)and she made me notice that when I'm stopping at a sign or a light.. I'm watching the white lane on the ground lol.. trying to break that habit now.. but it's not easy

One thing I quite don't get (langage barrier here) the ''balls of my feet'' what is that? I assume it's something similar to the ''tip of my toes'' (talking about the region here lol) is that it??

I really appreciate your inputs guys! :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
the ball of your foot is behind your big toe, that big pad area.

trust your tires! :) (Just don't jam on the throttle when you're at full lean, roll it on slowly)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Originally posted by NavyMac
the ball of your foot is behind your big toe, that big pad area.

trust your tires! :) (Just don't jam on the throttle when you're at full lean, roll it on slowly)
Who the HECK let YOU in here?

Just because you actually bought a man's motorcycle? You're gonna get pulled over on that, and the cops'll ask if your Daddy knows you're on his motorcycle...

So when you gonna race your 10R? I'll bring mine in Sept.

Welcome, Chris. And please add "ASMA 555" to your signature.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It probably feels like your way off your bike, but hang off enough to feel like your just going to fall off. You should have at least one butt cheek off your seat. It will feel like your really exaggerating it, but usually turns out just right.

Also pretend like your trying to kiss your mirror.

The most important thing is to exaggerate your position. It wont feel right, but trust me, you will end up in the right position.

You should also try to go to the track to practice.....much safer

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Don't worry about how you look. Relax and have fun, that is all that you need to do.

And get some riding pants for goodness sakes, the first time you hit your knee at 40 mph wearing jeans will be the last time you ride a bike for six months.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol I know about the pants!

If you've read my post in the 6r forum, the bike was a gift, I was in no way capable to own one, let alone buy the complete gear, at least I upgraded my running shoes to motorcycle boots this year[:p]

track days are on the way, just not this year.. I'm planning to take racing school with a friend next year.

It's not much about how I look, but rather how to ride properly.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Originally posted by apchasse
It probably feels like your way off your bike, but hang off enough to feel like your just going to fall off. You should have at least one butt cheek off your seat. It will feel like your really exaggerating it, but usually turns out just right.

Also pretend like your trying to kiss your mirror.

The most important thing is to exaggerate your position. It wont feel right, but trust me, you will end up in the right position.

You should also try to go to the track to practice.....much safer
[:+1]Act like you are trying to look into the inside mirror and lean your upper body more into the corner and lower to the tank. And turn that head into the corner! You are mostly using your eyes to look thru the corner. You body and the bike will follow your head so TURN THAT HEAD and look thru the corner.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i am "in training" for my first track day also. i have gotten tips from quite a few people and i follow and watch my brother who has done a track day. the one i finally figured out that i wasn't doing was getting my knee out far enough going in to the turn. i noticed in your last pic your inside knee isn't too far from the tank. you need to push out as far as you can. it may feel like you are now. once you get that knee out there and get your ass off the seat, and like the others said kiss the mirror you will immediately feel a difference and realize what the bike is capable it is an awesome feeling. also watch the races on speed tv and watch closely at how far their knee gets out and how far off the bike they are

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Stop worrying about your damn knee. When you are going fast enough it will touch down. I see guys hanging off at the track like monkeys on a stick, and every now and then falling off. Don't worry about touching a knee down, worry about braking markers, smooth braking , smooth throttle, easy on the gas...smooothhhh is what makes you fast.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.