Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, having an issue, and I'm really looking for some wisdom in this matter. as I've spent many hours now just going in circles. I am fully aware I could probably just take it into a shop and have it fixed for me, but that is pretty far out of the money I'd like to spend here. Read on, and hopefully give me some helpful advice, thank you so much for reading :)

My bike is a 2008 Ninja 650R

The problem I'm having is my key hole on my gas cap got really corroded, and then a key broke off in the key hole. i cant take the base out i don't think while its still locked (i tried).

I have called every locksmith and motorcycle repair in the area, and haven't gotten very far unless i want to spend a few hundred dollars.

so, basically, i need help getting this thing off so i can put a new one on. probably a key-less one.

also, being able to drive to somewhere would be a great help, but there's hardly any gas in it and i wouldn't make it very far. if i could take it out at the base of the cap, i could put some fuel in and drive it to a locksmith or cycle repair place for assistance, but I am unable, due to the cap locking mechanism itself being corroded stiff, and jammed with a broken key. this is my only vehicle beside a car. (no truck to haul it)
I also can't find a schematic or exploded view that has any detail in this region of the bike whatsoever, which would probably aid in this issue.

Any ideas?

p.s. someone suggested that i literally just take a screwdriver and hammer to it, and punch the lock through, follow by whatever it takes to physically remove the cap base. I felt this is not be a good idea, but maybe im wrong.

·
What is this place?
18,517 Posts
Hey guys, having an issue, and I'm really looking for some wisdom in this matter. as I've spent many hours now just going in circles. I am fully aware I could probably just take it into a shop and have it fixed for me, but that is pretty far out of the money I'd like to spend here. Read on, and hopefully give me some helpful advice, thank you so much for reading :)

My bike is a 2008 Ninja 650R

The problem I'm having is my key hole on my gas cap got really corroded, and then a key broke off in the key hole. i cant take the base out i don't think while its still locked (i tried).

I have called every locksmith and motorcycle repair in the area, and haven't gotten very far unless i want to spend a few hundred dollars.

so, basically, i need help getting this thing off so i can put a new one on. probably a key-less one.

also, being able to drive to somewhere would be a great help, but there's hardly any gas in it and i wouldn't make it very far. if i could take it out at the base of the cap, i could put some fuel in and drive it to a locksmith or cycle repair place for assistance, but I am unable, due to the cap locking mechanism itself being corroded stiff, and jammed with a broken key. this is my only vehicle beside a car. (no truck to haul it)

Any ideas?

p.s. someone suggested that i literally just take a screwdriver and hammer to it, and punch the lock through, follow by whatever it takes to physically remove the cap base. I felt this is not be a good idea, but maybe im wrong.
I think thats your best shot dude, As unfortunate as it may be.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Seems a bit of a common issue with 650R's.
Is the key in the correct place? Could you spray some WD40 in there, wait 10 minutes, and try to turn the lock with a screwdriver?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Seems a bit of a common issue with 650R's.
Is the key in the correct place? Could you spray some WD40 in there, wait 10 minutes, and try to turn the lock with a screwdriver?
prior to the key snapping, and what actually caused it to snap; was me jiggling it for hours on end, trying to get the lock to turn. I tried wd40, then bought a can of some spray that is specifically for corroded locks, then a while a jiggling a tinkering later and it snapped. and all the while, even after the sprays, when i would try to take the key out, it took alot of strength to do so. so the key is sadly, pretty much in there for good. (unless some locksmith has some kind of crazy tool that can easily render such a problem, i dont know) i wish there was a way to force it..

also, the key snapped off flush with the top of the key hole, so there is no place fr a screwdriver to get grip, and nothing sticking out to grab with pliers.

I know that you could take the tank off, empty it, drill the lock out, clean the tank out, replace with new cap, viola. however, im not sure how hard it is to take these tanks off. not sure if I'm equipped.

·
Registered
835 Posts
:Laughing Sign: I had mentioned the above solution...BUT don't hammer the shite outta it that it knock's the barrel into the tank. You could seriously injure yourself if the tank decide's to explode.

WD40 or silicon spray the lock and around the lock where the locking gizmo's grab a hold of the base...jam a screwdriver in there and twist.

Post up a photo showing how deep the key is in there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you get a screwdriver in there (flathead) and twist at all?
No, as i said above, the key broke pretty flush with the key hole. and i dont know really what you mean by you above description. elaborate?

i will go take some pics with my phone right now, hopefully they will turn out well enough to see details. will post shortly.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Take a fine flat head screw driver and w/hammer tap it into lock. Position it so it can be tapped down the side of the broken key.
Make sure the driver is of good quality because you're gonna wanna get it driven in there at least an inch...down the side of the key and unless you've got forearms like Popeye you may need to rig up a crescent wrench or the like on the driver handle for better leverage to twist the rusted lock.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Take a fine flat head screw driver and w/hammer tap it into lock. Position it so it can be tapped down the side of the broken key.
Make sure the driver is of good quality because you're gonna wanna get it driven in there at least an inch...down the side of the key and unless you've got forearms like Popeye you may need to rig up a crescent wrench or the like on the driver handle for better leverage to twist the rusted lock.
i will try this.

there was actually like 1/64 of an inch sticking out, and i tried to grip it just now with several differerent tools, to no avail.

pics came out bad, but im getting em posted here right after this.

PICS ON PAGE 2 >>>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pics

pics came out bad. its dark, and people are lighting bombs off all around me.

the white corrosion made the key holes come out poorly

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have ya tried removing that piece of aluminum surrounding the key?
Did ya try jamming in a screwdriver?
is that possible? it doesnt seem to be built that way. this is why i wish i could find a detailed exploded view or schematic of the gas cap/fuel tank

i won't have access to all my tools till the morning, so ill have to wait till then to try the screwdriver technique. i was hoping to get some different opinions as well. but that might just have to be the way to go in the end. i thank you for your advice, very much.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm not sure if this gas cap is the same as the one on 2007 ZX6R but if it is and anyone know's I have a replacement for you. I'll be removing mine and fitting a "race" keyless cap.
I purchased a used fuel tank for a 98 GSXR 750 that I have also and it didn't come with a key, 2 firm tap's of a hammer and a twist & I bust open the locking mechanism, threw away damaged lock & added keyless cap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not sure if this gas cap is the same as the one on 2007 ZX6R but if it is and anyone know's I have a replacement for you. I'll be removing mine and fitting a "race" keyless cap.
I purchased a used fuel tank for a 98 GSXR 750 that I have also and it didn't come with a key, 2 firm tap's of a hammer and a twist & I bust open the locking mechanism, threw away damaged lock & added keyless cap.
hmm, well the ignitions are the same on all of em basically, as well as the keys, so ya its quite possible that the gas caps are interchangeable as well.

i wonder if i can find something thin enough to stick down in there on the side of the key, keeping sturdiness in mind so i dont break off more crap in there.. hmmm

·
Registered
303 Posts
I know this doesn't help much but once you get it fixed you've gotta continually spray WD-40 or similar lubricant in the gas tank lock. Mine used to crud up all the time, and the key would get stuck in there too if it didn't regularly lube it. Good luck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
WD40 is more of a penetrant. Plus its a dirt attractor. Don't use it. There are a lot better "lubes" out there than WD-40. PB Blaster is a great penetrant.

I guess people don't realize that keys are made out of brass. A very soft metal.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Drill out the lock!! literally get your drill and a decent size bit and drill it out, no hammering , no penetrating oil, just drill. drill at a low speed and open the cap.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts