Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just acquired the yellow '02 zx6r and have narrowed my immediate changes from about ten to two. Too damn expensive!
Now my first question is if anybody knows who makes frame sliders requiring no mods to the faring??

The second thing I thought was why couldn't Kawi put a nice protective fender on the rear of the bike like Yam did w/ the R6?
The Hugger fenders I looked at first of all are way too expensive for a little piece of plastic, and second, do not seem to wrap around the chain as does the factory chainguard. This would appear to let the chain get a thorough dousing of dirt from the rear tire. I was wondering if anyone knew of a hugger that wrappped around the chain and offered more protection?? I can't seem to find any.... Thanks!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Take a look at this.

I have both of what you are looking for..

The Silders bolt on to the FRAME (they replace a fairing screw)
My friend has them too and he tested them (sad to say) but they save his plastic. The screw did bend but you expect to get just one crash out of them anyways.

They can be bought from:
http://www.inturace.com

The hugger has the same chain protection as the stock, but I have no idea who makes it because I got it from ebay ($100)

Dave

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just got my 2002 red/blk "R" 3 weeks ago and got a pair of frame protectors from the dealership for $75. They are made by Lightning Performance Products and do not require any cutting of the fairing. These guys are the biggest sliders I have ever seen! They protrude WAY out of the fairing but look tough. I have heard that at high speed off's they will break away from the bolt but I'm not interested in finding out. I will say that they are well worth the money though -I pulled a sharp low speed U-turn inside a 7-11 and gripped the front brake to hard and dropped her on the right side (6 piston calipers!!!). Less than 2 weeks old and she was resting on her side, but once I set her back up - low and behold no damage to the bike whatsoever! Thank GOD, those stubs do work. That makes em worth their weight in GOLD.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Frame sliders that don't attach to motor mount bolts probably are worth the price or the effort. The problem with the ZX-6R is that one of the motor mount bolts is behind the coolant recovery tank. Intuit makes some sliders that attach at the motor mount but they require relocating the tank and are used mostly for race bikes. There is a company in the UK called R&G Racing. They make some frame sliders (crash protectors in Brit speak) that include a coolant tank that has been modified to have a hole through it where frame slider can attach to the motor mount. They are a little pricey at about $150 but that includes a new tank and shipping. They require cutting a 1" diameter hole above the motor mount bolt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That bike looks sweet! I am sure glad I got my '02 Ninja now that they're more user friendly when compared with the '03's or other brands. In fact, the U.K. magazine "BIKE" (issue 353) has a great writeup on the ZX6R, and lauds it's usefullness as a street bike and the machine's overall performance, although they call it "long in the tooth."
Thanks for the tips. I'll look for a carbon or black hugger and black sliders - and don't forget to check out that issue!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I believe Airtech sells a hugger. Probably primered but worth a call. I think it went for about $90

Diirk
'99 ZX6R
'02 Raptor
'01 Wolverine
'87 Radian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.