Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the next bike. http://www.husqvarnausa.com/ I have done a ton of research on these things and it seems that this thing is bullett proof. Take it to the track, rip some twistys, it has nearly 60hp to the wheels, weighs 230ish lbs dry. I was going to try and make a street legal Honda CRF450, but from what I have gathered, the mx bikes do not like extended high rpm rides and result in bottom end failure, or $1000's in hop ups like, 4th and 5th gear replacement, external oil sumps, ect. But the Husq seems to be a great bike, a little pricey but I wan't something different. What ya think?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I know of a couple of guys that ride the shit outta thier 610s. Awsome bike and so much fun from what I have been told. Beisides displacement and looks, I really know nothing about the differences between the 510 and the 610. Deffinatly a good choice for a motard either way [:M11]

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by xtremewlr
I know of a couple of guys that ride the shit outta thier 610s. Awsome bike and so much fun from what I have been told. Beisides displacement and looks, I really know nothing about the differences between the 510 and the 610. Deffinatly a good choice for a motard either way [:M11]
From what I have gathered, the 610 is 70 lbs heavier but with the same horsepower, but it does have more torque and more bottom end power, the 450 and the 510 rev higher but are not as good on long highway rides. One thing that throws me off is that the 450 and 510 have no key, you just turn the switch on and hit the start button, or kick start it. I called the local Husq dealer today, they will have the '07's in Sept, $7699 and come with a factory 1 year full warranty. Oh yea, the 510 with stock gearing will do 115 mph and I hear that 1st gear is useless, so highway cruising could be as easy as going 1 up in the front for gearing.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by GreenEnvy
Looks fun!
Remember, Kawi is supposed to be coming out with a cool new bike, similar style to this, we should hear more next month.
I had originally post a thread about Kawi's new motard bike, but there were ill results. If Kawi made a (STREET LEGAL) 450, similar to what SuKzuki did with the DRZ400SM, I would jump all over it. One reason I like the Huskys is that they are 50 state street legal just like our 6R's. Let me know if you hear anything, as I would stay true to the Kawi family if they were to come oout with something.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
The 510 is a great bike from what I hear but understand it is a race bike at heart which means more frequent oil changes and piston/valve work at shorter intervals than normal. Yes they are cool bikes and I was looking at one myself. The 610 is detuned a bit to last longer and have longer maintenance intervals so it would be more of the choice if you want less maintenance.

Also from what I'm told, they don't have a keyed ignition. Anyone can walk up and start it then just drive off.

As far as street going supermoto bikes are concerned, there's not many choices in the US that will give you that lightweight race bike feel that you will get from a race built bike with lights.

From what I've been told, the KTM 525 EXC is the same as a 525 SMR just with dirt trim on it. Throw some supermoto rims, brakes and suspension on there and you'll have a wicked good street legal 'tard.

Good luck on the search.

EDIT - Another great place for information about these and other Supermoto bikes is http://www.supermotojunkie.com/

I'm on there quite a bit now and have found a lot of great information there.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
You'd think that but it's all heat shielding. The one's that people have been burning pant legs and boots on are the Leo Vince aftermarket pipes for that bike. The heat shield doesn't cover enough of the pipe from what they're saying.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Be careful with the smaller displacement ktm's. They are technically street legal but some states like jersey are finding this out...The titles are supposed to saw for offroad use only, but they didn't so you could get them plated....but some states have figured that out and the ktms are a dying breed in those states.

The 510 has a hydrolic clutch and the 610 doesn't and I think the 510 has radial brakes and the 610 doesn't I think.......Motards are fun and I would love to have one some day, but in jersey you don't have many choices....That ducati hypermotard looks really interesting..

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Very nice Husky. I was going to buy a Husaberg FS650 a couple of months ago - they were running out the '05 models for about $3,500 less than retail. The service intervals put me off though. It would make a great toy, but not a daily bike.

The Aprilia 550SM looks to be pretty good too.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Originally posted by Nigel
Very nice Husky. I was going to buy a Husaberg FS650 a couple of months ago - they were running out the '05 models for about $3,500 less than retail. The service intervals put me off though. It would make a great toy, but not a daily bike.

The Aprilia 550SM looks to be pretty good too.
3500 under? Damn, That's a deal. Personally I would've jumped on that. All the good supermoto's have crappy service intervals so it's just a matter of whether you want it or not.

As for the Aprilia, it's a kick ass bike but it also has the same if not stricter service intervals than the vast majority of SM bikes out there, the only difference is you're doing maintenance on two cylinders instead of one. That'll be pricey when it comes time for a top end rebuild.

·
Registered
700 Posts
i just like the ass in your avatar. that is all...

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Yeah Ken, the deal really was too good to pass up, but I did anyway. [:I]

The Aprilias have service intervals of about 2,000 miles, as opposed to the 600 mile intervals of the 'Bergs.

Still not exactly long intervals, but more reasonable for the amount that I would use the bike. (Unless I was to blow it up...)

·
Registered
130 Posts
As someone said, the 510\450 are streetlegal racebikes. The 610, the KTM 625SMC, and the 'zook DRZ400SM are designed as streetbikes, and will need far less maintenance. The 450\510 are fast revving, somewhat frantic motors; the 610 is slower revving but very torquey - kinda like a 600 compared to a Duc\TLR\RC51 big twin.

Basically comes down to: trackday, twisties only = 510
Any kind of street use = 610

You will not be disappointed with either. I've ridden an older ('03-'04?)450, my bud's 625, and of course my 610. SMs are stupid fun
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8462378466997568582&q=supermoto&hl=en

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Originally posted by RatMotor
As someone said, the 510\450 are streetlegal racebikes. The 610, the KTM 625SMC, and the 'zook DRZ400SM are designed as streetbikes, and will need far less maintenance. The 450\510 are fast revving, somewhat frantic motors; the 610 is slower revving but very torquey - kinda like a 600 compared to a Duc\TLR\RC51 big twin.

Basically comes down to: trackday, twisties only = 510
Any kind of street use = 610

You will not be disappointed with either. I've ridden an older ('03-'04?)450, my bud's 625, and of course my 610. SMs are stupid fun
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8462378466997568582&q=supermoto&hl=en
I was wondering when you were gonna chime in on this one. I've seen you over on SMJ with that 610 a few times. [8D]

EDIT:Oh, and Nigel I was looking into the SXV service intervals and I see you are right. I thought they had the same service intervals as the others but that's only if you are using it for competition purposes. I'd still be a little worried though if it came to replacing pistons and rings.

Found the Owners Manual on the Aprilia website (Given free with every SXV sold, not a manual you have to pay for, don't want someone to think I'm posting something illegaly. If you want it taken down feel free to remove it):
http://www.serviceaprilia.com/public/lum/index.asp?l=SXV RXV 450-550

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.