Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to site but been riding for 6 years. 2005 Ninja 636 21k.

Recently got a lot of rain and some got under the gas cap. Didn't know and cranked it up then a minute later it of course cut off. Drained the fuel lines and added brand new gas and some water remover. This happened last year and I fixed it this way and got new gas cap. Now I have a cover because no gas cap keeps water out apparently. Anyways bike still won't crank. Has juice and turns over but won't catch. Can spray fuel igniter in the air intake and the bike will come to life but when the igniter burns up it sounds like it slowly chokes itself. If I continue to spray igniter in to keep it idling I hear a weird knocking sound on the right side. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Hydrolock means the motor is locked up, wont turn over.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Starter fluid will act like a super high compression ratio and can cause detonation.

The knocking sound is probably from keeping the bike running on starter fluid, you can easily damage a piston using too much starter fluid.

The bike doesn't want to start because you sucked up a bunch of water into the fuel pump. You could take the fuel line off and cycle the pump to empty all the contaminated gas out. When you turn the key on the pump will cycle for second or two, then turn the key off and on again till all the water is out.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've had my bike outside when it was hit with some nasty downpours and never had any issue with water leaking into the tank. These bikes can ride in the rain with no issues.

You've already eliminated a spark/compression issue. Sounds more like a problem with the fuel pump itself, or possible injector issues. Unless you literally dumped half a gallon of water in the tank, I don't think that's the issue. Check your fuel pressure and get back to us.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I've had my bike outside when it was hit with some nasty downpours and never had any issue with water leaking into the tank. These bikes can ride in the rain with no issues.

You've already eliminated a spark/compression issue. Sounds more like a problem with the fuel pump itself, or possible injector issues. Unless you literally dumped half a gallon of water in the tank, I don't think that's the issue. Check your fuel pressure and get back to us.
I've seen tons of bikes get water in the tank from a heavy rain. Not so much from riding in the rain but more so being parked in the rain.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've seen tons of bikes get water in the tank from a heavy rain. Not so much from riding in the rain but more so being parked in the rain.
Had my bike on the trailer parked at work where it rained hard all day, and rained all the way to an event. Still no problems. Still have the OEM gas cap.

He could have water in the lines, but I'm leaning more towards something wrong with the pump itself.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
the only way youre hydrolocking any vehicle is if you feed it buckets of water or have the intake submerged in it.

both ways youre an idiot

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Kawis have been known to fill the airbox with oil through the crank case vent tube and hydro lock, it isn't always rider error..:D
thats shitty, but i've never experienced that and it sucks if that happens a lot.

but technically speaking hydrolocking would not be from oil

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Kawis have been known to fill the airbox with oil through the crank case vent tube and hydro lock, it isn't always rider error..:D
thats shitty, but i've never experienced that and it sucks if that happens a lot.

but technically speaking hydrolocking would not be from oil
That situation doesn't usually happen during normal riding though. It is usually a result of prolonged wheelies and other stunting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pump and lines have been drained multiple times. Bike used to sit out all the time and never had a problem but eventually the seal wears out and the corrosion factor from OEM caps will start to lock up your springs which then forces you to take a flat head to the locking mechanism to open it.

Checked the pump pressure and it is good. Checked not with a machine but by turning it on and watching gas shoot out several inches onto the ground, which i have been told is just as good a test.

Anyways I haven't tested injectors yet I will get to it this weekend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also I don't stunt any. Used to be a daily commuter/joy ride bike that got ran every day. Unfortunately Georgia got tons of rain this summer and I didn't ride every day like I wanted to.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
The pump holds a good amount of gas. Did you pump it out like I described?

Even if you get the pump full of clean uncontaminated gas there is still the fuel rail. It will usually take a good amount of cranking to get all the water through the system.Be careful not to over heat the starter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had an issue like this and thought the same thing. Was told it was probably the gas tank and fuel lines, pump, etc.

It was actually a weak spark and intermittent shorting. Water was getting past the boots and into the sparkplug wells and would short the plug to the casing.

If youre worried about water that's getting in places where it shouldn't be, it's worth a quick check. Blow some compressed air into the sparkplug well and see if any buildup sprays out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the help guys. Got it to crank for a brief second today on its own with no help and made a video let me know if any of you have heard this sound because I never heard it until this problem started.

Uploaded to youtube at this address

Bike not cranking properly - YouTube

1 - 20 of 21 Posts