Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well took the zx6r out on a little street test with the GPS to get the 07/08 gauges speedo dialed in and noticed the clutch is getting pretty low on travel and when really hammered on had a little slippage.

Been eyeing and waiting for the time to do this, but i am going to go with the HyperPlates aluminum clutch discs on the replacement.
They say 65% less weight and faster spin up, and friends who used them on RC51's loved them.

Anyone else use these before and your thoughts?

·
Registered
343 Posts
well took the zx6r out on a little street test with the GPS to get the 07/08 gauges speedo dialed in and noticed the clutch is getting pretty low on travel and when really hammered on had a little slippage.

Been eyeing and waiting for the time to do this, but i am going to go with the HyperPlates aluminum clutch discs on the replacement.
They say 65% less weight and faster spin up, and friends who used them on RC51's loved them.

Anyone else use these before and your thoughts?
Dont buy them they are junk I drag race mine 04 636 and I got 10 passes out of them and they pretty much were destroyed the fibers were so hot that they stuck to the hyperplates and the plates were groved up like a set of bad rotors Do your self a favor and stick with oem steels and fibers they are better than anything on the market all the drag racers use oem

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
interesting info,
when you guys do the plates, do you replace the fiber plates, steel plates, springs also? or are those reusable? just curious

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i am not doing any drag racing or hard launching with clutch slipping...

You replace the steel plates & fiber disc, will use barnett clutch pac (minus the steel plates)

these are more for roadracing not drage racing, kinda like using a full dry slipper clutch on ducati...Road Racing

·
Powerhungry
38,369 Posts
yeh, how many on the stock one?

and im sure you already know...but, have you tried adjusting the cable first?

mine still feels really good, at almost 24k. i did have to adjust the cable recently, it was really loose.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cable is almost all way out (maybe 2 threads left in the housing).
Clutch has over 3500 miles on it, with more than 1500 miles of that being on the track.
been on the dyno for tuning multiple times, and i am sure hauling my 250 body around doesnt make it any easier.

·
Powerhungry
38,369 Posts
cable is almost all way out (maybe 2 threads left in the housing).
Clutch has over 3500 miles on it, with more than 1500 miles of that being on the track.
been on the dyno for tuning multiple times, and i am sure hauling my 250 body around doesnt make it any easier.
thats how mine WAS.

whats the LOWER adjustment look like?

screw the top adjuster IN, all the way. then pull all the slack out, with the bottom adjuster.

then readjust the top for the final adjustment.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
thats how mine WAS.

whats the LOWER adjustment look like?

screw the top adjuster IN, all the way. then pull all the slack out, with the bottom adjuster.

then readjust the top for the final adjustment.
I think that JD is just lookin' for an excuse to buy parts...:D

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah you guys may be right on this one, as yes there is a limted amount of clutch lever left, but will check the bottom end.

and yeah if you guys need osme nissin zx14/6r calipers now is the time, as i am looking into picking up some 1098 brembo calipers in the monring since my bodywork deal fell thru.

·
Powerhungry
38,369 Posts
I think that JD is just lookin' for an excuse to buy parts...:D
oh, i assumed as much.

but had to throw it out there..just in case.

he doesnt really NEED a reason..now does he?:p

yeah you guys may be right on this one, as yes there is a limted amount of clutch lever left, but will check the bottom end.

and yeah if you guys need osme nissin zx14/6r calipers now is the time, as i am looking into picking up some 1098 brembo calipers in the monring since my bodywork deal fell thru.
ur gonna run ducati parts?:rolleyes:
you sure you trust them?:D

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Like littleman said stay away from them, i had a buddy who bought a set for his 1000rr and he doesnt dragrace and they only lasted a month, i can tell u what worked for me ebc kevlar fibers and stock oem steels and ebc hd clutch springs, or just stick with oem fibers & steels

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
guess i will heed the wanring and stick with a new stock set-up or barnett discs....

·
Registered
4,112 Posts

Are you sayin' that you're selling a set of nissins? If so, what price? Just front calipers, or rear too? $$ is a little tight right now, but I may be interested if the price is right. Let me know JD...

·
Powerhungry
38,369 Posts

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
About 16,000 hard street and track miles out of mine and it's fine... I might need to do some adjustments myself, but I count on the clutch lasting a lot longer than it has so far.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
guess i will heed the wanring and stick with a new stock set-up or barnett discs....
jd - Since you were going to be opening up the clutch...................Have you already installed the KIT adjustment shims? I have a few buddies that swear the stock slipper clutch with the adjusment shims is on par in performance with the STM item (2 of them have run the STM). Just figured if you hadn't installed them yet it would be worth the $20 ($2.70 x 6) investment compared to the $1,000 STM.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts