Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive dropped my bike several times(only once on my ninja and the rest are practice bikes) and only when its not even moving! I keep making the same mistake! I don't want to ruin my new ninja, do you guys have any tips on how to prevent future falls and scratches cuz I know I will drop it again!!! How can I fix my few scratches I have now?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
When youre coming to a stop, be sure to put your feet down only when youre almost at a complete stop. If you put them down too early, you'll drag them and lose your balance.

You could invest in some frame sliders to help protect the bikes.

As far as the scratches go, how deep are they? If theyre pretty light, then you can use any automotive paint polish (if you use a strong polish, be sure to follow up with a lighter polish to remove any hazing). If theyre deep (exposing primer or even the plastic) there isnt much you can do other than to get some touch up paint (if the scratches are bad, you have to sand, paint, put on clearcoat, and sand until as smooth as possible. This isnt very easy). I woudlnt worry too much about repairing the plastics just yet until you get good at riding. Just ride the bike and worry about cosmetics later.

And dont worry! Im a new rider too and mistakes happen. Just be sure to pay attention and use the right techniques. Practice practice practice!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't call yourself stupid! everyone drops at some point or other. i've had 2 drops myself in 2 months! I was pulling into the driveway at about 5mph, the other was sand on the road at about 25mph. Slid right out from under me. Scrtachs on the fairing, but legs are ok thanks to good leathers :) I happens to everyone, so don't down yourself for it!

Work on your balance is my advice. Be careful when you slow down like aloh says in the post above, don't put your feet down to early, or you will loose your balance.

Check your boots too! Are the bottoms of your boots slick?

·
Registered
287 Posts
trust me girl you are not stupid, it happens to the best of us, I have been riding for 20+ years and still drop my bike, once recently when the bike was turned off, sitting in the driveway.
What the others said is so true too. But before you get on the bike you may want to try a little visualization.

I had the same problem at the track, I kept running off the track in turn one, over and over and over. My instructor told me to stop thinking about the last time I came in too hot and grabbed too much front brake stood the bike up and ran off the track. He said instead visualize myself completing the turn the way I want to. Smooth on brakes, smooth down shift, smooth body position, a sane entry speed...ect that way when I come up to the turn, my mind, body and bike are all going to do what I want them to do. He made me sit there and visualize this over and over and over. Once I got back on the track, I was not thinking about running off the track, I was doing all the things I had thought about. It helps me both on and off the track.

·
Registered
277 Posts
DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT! everyone does it! I dropped my bike twice this year off the rear stand in my coaches vest of all things.. lol... broke off the brake lever and everything

1 - 5 of 5 Posts