Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

I beg help from the wiring gods.

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Kaw'ee 
#1 ·
Hello all, I’m brand new to this forum but I’m looking for some help from this community. I just recently purchased a 2009 KLX 250. There’s a couple electrical problems I’m trying to figure out and I’ll give as much information as possible. I put the key in right, it starts up fine. Hit the kill switch, turn the key on, nothing. Must be battery right? Okay so I buy the bike and bring it home and when I switch it on there’s no power to display or headlight. Sometimes when turning the key it’s very dim like low power. Figured battery was dead so I put the battery on a tender but it was fully charged in under 10 minutes. Put the battery in, turn the key and get a dim headlight and dim Speedo display. Turn the key off and on and it’s back to normal until I try to start it and the power cuts out and there’s a click from the starter relay. I’m looking at the Wiring diagram and how my bike is wired and I notice there’s two wires on the positive terminal. One thicker wire from positive to the starter relay and then another thinner wire on the positive terminal that has a 10amp fuse and goes straight into a random hole on the front of the frame that’s behind the front forks. Accidentally pulled that out lol but I can’t figure out if it’s actually supposed to go there. Doesn’t make much sense but I’ll attach the wiring diagram for you guys. I can go more into it but I’m just looking for some help from some more experienced guys before I bring it to the shop.
Text Diagram Line Technical drawing Parallel
Text Diagram Font Parallel
Text Diagram Line Design Technical drawing
Line art Technical drawing Diagram Drawing Auto part

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll trade you some information. I'll tell you what I know about your battery issue if you can measure the lower link of the rear suspension on your bike for me from the centre to the centre of the bolts. You can see my post below.

Anyway, my KLX250s is the same year. I took a look at the battery, and there should only be one heavy wire from each post. If removing that errant wire didn't solve your problem, I would disconnect both wires from the battery, and clean the ends and the posts very well. Reconnect them to ensure you have a solid connection.

If that doesn't resolve it, you likely have an intermittent short somewhere. They can be hard to find. There should be two or three fuses under the seat. I would remove them individually, and see if the problem goes away. That will help you find which circuit is giving you trouble. You can also check the wiring closely where it snakes along the frame, especially where it is clipped to the frame. Look for any bare wire and fix it.

Wiring issues can be a pain on an older bike. (I also have a 2001 BMW F650gs.) It takes persistence.

Warren

#3 · (Edited)
an 11 yo bike, but new to you. Get that battery (that came with the bike) load tested before chasing your tail. Proper load testing will absolutely determine its performance ability. Even a battery that looks good with ok standing voltage is NOT a real indication of its real, functional condition.
And that is valid diagnostic info from Warren above to remove any unnecessary electrical "mod" junk added by the PO after condition of battery is accessed.

#5 ·
problem not fixed yet but i'll be bringing in the battery to get it tested soon. motorcycle license just came in the mail today but with the whole pandemic thing going on, its going to be hard to register the bike for now. just waiting for this to be over so i can go out on the weekends :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.