Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically late today I went out on my bike, as it got dark I found the light on my dash, (just the one that back lights it, the other lights such as head lights still work fine.) and also my tail/brake light were out.

I have looked at the tail light and it looks fine.

Is this a blown fuse or a blown blub some where?

·
Registered
522 Posts
why dont you go check your fuses and tell us? honestly, help yourself and others will do their best to help you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the reason being that I don't have any day light hours I can work on it for a few days, and also one of the screws holding down the cover is stripped so it is going to take a lot of work to get off and likely need replacing after.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Originally posted by ex_dsmr
why dont you go check your fuses and tell us? honestly, help yourself and others will do their best to help you.
You sounds like "Fog" from the EX500riders.net forums. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Take the seat off and look back there. I am not sure if you can gain access to the lights from there. Also check the fuse box. You can do that with a flashlight or flood light. Have your buddy hold the light for you if that what it takes. Or just do what I do and roll the bike into the front room of the house.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I managed to get the side cover off finally today.

I blew a fuse.

There is something wrong electrically. I blew the next 2 fuses I tried on it in under a minute.

The wiring all looks fine, and it is only the tale light circuit that is giving me a problem.

I honestly don't know what I should do.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
you need to find yourself and electronics/electrical geek OOPS er Guru who knows how to use a volt/ohm meter.. sounds like you got a short somewhere.. Gonna take a little work to track it down but shouldn't be too hard. WHATEVER you do dont just put in a bigger fuse.. The next thing that blows could be the wiring harness instead of just a fuse.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Take your volt meter and test for continuity in the line. That will tell you if the wire is grounding out somewhere causeing your fuse to blow right away. That will help you get closer to solving your problem let me know if you neeed more help. I used to do electrical systems for cars and trucks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Trace all the wiring from the fuse box to the tail light and gauges.

When I got my wifes 1990 zzr250 home it has several electrical problems The tail/break light worked bu I had no headlights and my guge lights would flicker and dim.
I changed the fuses and started following the wiring found one break in the headlight power wire up my the control switch. Traced it back towards the fuse box and found 3 spots where the some of the other wiring has been rubbing against the frame or bodywork and worn through the tape and insualtor and shorting out on the frame and bottom of the fuel tank.
I taped it covered the damage wire insulator with liquid electrical tape, taped up all the wiring and covered the harnss in a plastic wire loom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.