Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever sence I started riding, which was like about a month now, the people in my town are really starting to hate me. I don't know why, I don't speed, except on the highway, I don't do stupid stunts, or anythign like that. It is just that most of the people in my town just frown upon me and turn there backs when I wave.

Now, the people in my town who ride, yea, they all see the same thing happening to them, but we are all still friends and ok with eachother. Hell, family has started to loath me.

If it where a safety concern, they would say something, like when I got my dirt bike, they allways said wear a helmate and riding gear, which I allways do anyway.

This is about how I feel:

Does anyone else see this happen to them?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking that, but I don't see the reason to be a hater over just that little fact.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
not with strangers but with my family, yea. especially my parents...its beyond concern over safety. they think im being extremely selfish by riding because "i dont care what they think" or "you do whatever you want, regardless of how much we love you" blah blah blah. its like they try to make me feel like shit for doing something that gives me immeasurable happiness.

you know what i say to that, Tach? fuck em...could you imagine telling other people not to participate in their greatest passion just because of "safety concerns"? of course not....the very idea is ridiculous.

make no excuses Tach....do what makes you feel happy. it is, after all, your life. not theirs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do you really care what they think?
Are you happy? Then that's all that should matter. Well, that and not doing squidly crap, which you're not.

·
Registered
272 Posts
once you have a family that depends on you, it's about fulfilling your responsibilities. it is extremely selfish to ride "spirited" if you have a family that depends on you (kids and a wife). what are they gonna do if you die pointlessly canyon carving?

if you have no one depending on you though, fuckin' let her rip and go enjoy every second of it... cause um eventually you probably will have a family.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Originally posted by GoTime
once you have a family that depends on you, it's about fulfilling your responsibilities. it is extremely selfish to ride "spirited" if you have a family that depends on you (kids and a wife). what are they gonna do if you die pointlessly canyon carving?

if you have no one depending on you though, fuckin' let her rip and go enjoy every second of it... cause um eventually you probably will have a family.
so does this include track days? I'm just curious as to the level you think someone with a family should be riding. Not trying to flame but just want to know. Sounds like you are saying anyone with a family or loved ones, or friends...should drive a car instead.

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
Why do you care??? I could give a shit whether others approve of my riding or not, specially strangers. I do understand when loved ones are concerned, but it still does not affect my decision.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Originally posted by trashmonkey

so does this include track days? I'm just curious as to the level you think someone with a family should be riding. Not trying to flame but just want to know. Sounds like you are saying anyone with a family or loved ones, or friends...should drive a car instead.
i was speaking in terms of semi-aggressive street riding. i said something along the lines of "spirited" and "canyon carving" in my original post. track riding is obviously much safer than general street and a even more safer than canyon carving.

obviously there are people out there who ride with families at home, but i've been at the business end of oblivious cagers who really have my life in their incapable hands. when i get married and have a kid, the only place i'll be riding is on the track.

·
Registered
272 Posts
and another thing. you're changing my words around. i never said "family or loved ones or friends". you're changing my argument around to fit yours. the point of my argument was fast street riding is irresponsible if you have a "wife and kid" at home. who will provide for them if you go down?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Originally posted by GoTime

i was speaking in terms of semi-aggressive street riding. i said something along the lines of "spirited" and "canyon carving" in my original post. track riding is obviously much safer than general street and a even more safer than canyon carving.

obviously there are people out there who ride with families at home, but i've been at the business end of oblivious cagers who really have my life in their incapable hands. when i get married and have a kid, the only place i'll be riding is on the track.
I can respect that

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Unless you act like a jackass, there's really no good reason for people to treat you differently.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
you dont remember the good just the bad, you might not be a aHole but i'm sure someone else on a sport bike is and you are to blame because you are part of the few. Deal with it, heck i'm part of a motorcycle club that is part of the Motorcycle confederation, imagine the looks you get when you ride with a leather vest and patch on the back. Sometimes i think these people think i'm the devil, so what do i do? Rev at them and wink at the wife, lol.

Bottom line, do you really care?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm with Gotime and his arguement. enjoy the street riding while you can. I know i am because once i have a wife and a couple kids that are depending on my survival the only riding i'll be doing is the occasional weekend ride and track days.

and personally, i don't do things seeking others approval, i do things because i want to do things. that doesn't mean be selfish, but riding in your case is not selfish. everyone in this forum loves to ride or we wouldn't be here. i say that you continue to ride and the people in your town will either learn to live with the fact that its something you enjoy or they can live the rest of their lives ignorant.. either way, fuckem.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
C'mon Tach, They Probly dis-liked you all along............ You're just more mobile now, so you notice it more...............

:D Just kiddin witcha Foniks Munkey!!!!!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Marlboroman
Foniks Munkey
Ill never live that down.....

But yea, I love to ride, I also hate the cagers that have my live in there incapeable hands. (Love the way you put that GoTime) Yet I hate more the people that I thought I once knew. Ahhhh.... Well..... I really don't know, I live to Ride!;)

Oh, and me and kids don't mix well, water and sodium. So there is a slim chance of that happening. Wife? Maby. Kids? Eh, too early tell. But if that happens, then yea, I would have to slow down the riding time(s).

·
Registered
157 Posts
water and sodium? mmm you mean oil and water? : )

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,898 Posts
Originally posted by iroman

Or you and spelling or you and coherent thought:D:D:D
[:M50] haha beat me to it, iroman...lmao

Tach...Water + Sodium = Salt Water...which makes up like 98% of the earth...so I'd think it mixes rather well...maybe you meant water and magnesium, which sparks into flame?

Anyway, just busting your balls. I have to say I don't get much of that here in Tampa, because you never really run into people that know you all that often. It's a decently sized metro area. I get attitude every now and then, mostly from parents with kids, which is understandable...no cage-going parent is going to want their child to ride, because it's dangerous, and they love their child. The way they see it, they didn't spend x number of years raising you to just let you go out and kill yourself.

I guess they just don't understand, which isn't my fault, and it's really not theirs, either. I know when I have kids it'll be really hard to let them learn to ride if they want, even though I DO understand. They're your kid, you know? You spend their early years trying as hard as you can to protect them from everything, and that's sorta hard to shake off when they get older. The only advice I can give is that it's somewhat normal, and you just have to work to prove them wrong, and that you're a responsible, moral, productive member of society, just like them.

·
Registered
154 Posts
First off I say Ride or Die.
Second even when i decide to start a family I am going to continue to ride.
I have life and health insurance and the day i got my class M i created a will and testament and an advanced health care directive. just in case something happens everyone knows what to do.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.