Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good job for over coming your fear. I have that same attitude sometimes. I just say fuck it, and so far I haven't had anything happen to me!

You gota have balls like these to drive a bike!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Time for new fork seals. =)

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Well after months of being scared, not sure how to execute, and generally not doing them right, I finally got a good 2nd gear wheelie, on my basically stock 02 6R.

For a while I was beginning to think that in order for me to do a wheelie in 2nd gear on my 6R I would have to buy a full exhaust or something. Not the case!

Yesterday I was out with some experienced riders that were doing all sorts of cool tricks. These guys I trusted because they were not stupid about it. We went to a safe place away from all the trafic (and curbs) with good roads. Most of the riders I was with have been riding for over 8 years and wore pretty much full protective gear. Anyway, not believing that my bike could wheelie in 2nd gear, I asked the most experienced guy to wheelie it for me, so I could see that it could. He was happy to oblige <---(spelling?).

Anyway, he not only got it up in 2nd, but he got the wheel up in 3rd as well but didn't ride it out. I was so impressed. He got off and told me that I need my revs to be higher that what I was trying on (about 7000). I used the clutch method.

So after about 4 tries and nothing happening, I got sick with myself. I started to question my manhood and such. Finally I said fuck it, I'm going to wheelie or die....

So I got going to about 40mph (i think) and got my rpms to about 9000...and gently pulled in the clutch and reved to about 10K and bounced the bike a little...and before I knew it my wheel was up...but didn't stay there because I was scared it was going to come over. So I did it again and again and again, till finally (as the sun was setting) I got a good wheelie and kept my wheel in the air for at least 5 seconds. Now to some of you, you may think that still sucks, but thats a HUGE victory for me! Now it practice, practice, practice.

Yay me! :D

02 ZX6R (Yellow)

·
Registered
315 Posts
good job, marine. this has been a LONG time coming, heh?:) that guy wasnt too experienced if he couldnt ride your stock 6r out in 3rd tho.

·
Registered
695 Posts
hehe...I think that guy could have rode it out, its just that it wasn't his bike and didn't want to keep doing extra shit to it because all I asked him to do was a 2nd gear wheelie.

Thanks guys, I got out today and tried to get better. It seems like I still haven't had as good of a wheelie as I did that day. Can't keep it up long enough.

I'll keep trying though.

02 ZX6R (Yellow)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Good for you Marine! I guess I'm going to have to start practicing as I have yet to get the front wheel up in 1st gear!

"It's not the size of the Gun but the caliber of the Bullet that makes the biggest hole!" -SDF

·
Registered
572 Posts
The height will get there just take it slow. Each time you pull one you start to get a better feel of how the bike is goign to react to your input.

PGH, PA

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've gotten alot more consistant with my wheelies since this post and I'm doing the same thing everytime and it seems to work everytime now.

I'm in second gear...and get my rpms to about 10 or 11k...then i let off the throttle just a little and stand up and bounce my bike and shift my weight just slightly to the rear (that gives the pull I need on the handle bars to bring it up) and give it full throttle (no clutch at all) and it comes up rather nicely (not too fast and feels controllable). All those things I mentioned happens really fast...like I dont't let off the throttle...wait...stand up...wait...lean back...wait...and give it full throttle. Its kinda like all one motion and took me a while to get it down.

My biggest problem of doing wheelies is me. What I mean by that is that I'm still a bit timid and sometimes I hesitate shift my weight back or giving it full throttle. When I hesitate or don't do it with some balls...the bike doesn't come up or if it does...only about a couple of inches.

Now that's how I've been doing wheelies lately. Mind you it was when this post was dated being the first time I've ever done a wheelie so I proabably would not take my advice as comparded to wheelie pimp or that other dude from NC (can't remember his screen name...sorry).

02 ZX6R (Yellow)

·
Registered
46 Posts
thanks for the tips... im having problems getting the second gear to height. I bring it up to 9 or 10... bounce the pegs, and as soon as the forks compress im on the gas... but it only comes up a few inches. I'll try giving it alot more gas tho, and lean back a bit.

I have no problem in first gear. Its just too twitchy to learn the balance point in first gear... so second gear standups would be ideal.

·
Registered
999 Posts
If its just coming up a few inches then your timing is off or you may be trying to pull up or something. I can just let off the throttle and get back on it and do 2nd gear standups without compressing the forks. Now for 3rd gear its all in compressing the forks and timing I think. Just try the throttle, if your tring at 8-9,000rpm it should come up pretty easy.

2002 954RR
2001 ZX6R (stunt bike)

http://home.sc.rr.com/minytrker/bike.htm

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm getting wheelies down pretty good now and have yet to put it down yet...I know that's a risk that I accepted when I started to learn wheelies.

But that balance point is a bitch. I get kind of scared when I feel like I'm at the balance point because I feel if I give bit more throttle I'm going to loop it, so I end up letting off the throttle and putting the wheel back down.

I'm still coming down pretty hard and I think its starting to take a toll on my forks. I'm working really hard on remembering to give it some good throttle on the way down in order to land the front wheel a little more gently.

DEFINATLY like 2nd gear wheelies better than first. First gear pops up real easy, but the throttle is too responsive and that's all 1st gear wheelies do...pop up and then down for me.

miny, I think your right...I think I am subconsiously trying to pull the handle bars up. I know in theory, your arms and hands should be somewhat lose but its just nerves I think at this point, but after a while I'm sure I'll loosen up.

_________

2002 ZX6R NINJA!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Your right on the arms being loose and your just tensing up. I was the same way when I learned years ago. Now that I have a bike just for stunts and am trying harder tricks and sstuff its like I started all over. Learning to do do 12's I keep catching myself squeezing the hadlebars for dear life, it sucks because you do it without realizing it and all of a sudden your hands stert hurting. The thing to remember is you will get wheelies down and they will be just like walking, you will be able to do them without thinking. I respect my bike and my own limits, and no matter how good you are or think you are you always have to know your limits for that day and you will be fine. I have more respect for the learning to wheelies who rides 1/4 mile and sets it down because he wasnt comfotable than the guy who goes 1/2 mile and almost wrecks everytime because hes not in control.

2002 954RR
2001 ZX6R (stunt bike)

·
Registered
315 Posts
maybe my 02 is running bad. if you guys dont need to compress the srpings for second gears somethin is wrong. the only way i can get 3rd gears is to make it a streetfighter. mine is stock though with 5500 miles.

·
Registered
999 Posts
2nd will come up all power at almost any rpm. 3rd gear is ALL technique really has nothing to do with not enough power. On my old 6r I only had about a 300-500rpm window where I could pull itup in 3rd and I always accelerate into that rpm. Mastering 3rd gear standups just takes ALOT of practice. I practiced everyday until I got them down. I think once you master the cotrol and balance in 3rd it makes wheelies alot easier. I can jump on almost any bike and just do 2nd gear wheelies all day, 3rd I have to try a few times on differnt bikes sometimes to find out where the bike makes power but it only takes a few tries. Just practice and all of a sudden you will get it. When I say I practiced alot, I rode 15,000 miles in a little over 9 months just on my bike thats not counting taking out friends bikes for a weekend.

2002 954RR
2001 ZX6R (stunt bike)

·
Registered
22 Posts
hey marine, i got the same exact bike and im just doing 1st gear wheelies right now. ive yet to try 2nd gear just feels weird. but in first all im really doing is some bullshit popawheelie. i want to do a 2nd gear one but nerves take over. well i guess if i have enough nerves to ride a bike it shouldnt be a problem.

keep on one wheel!

·
Registered
106 Posts
LISTEN BRO!!!, And I mean little bro!..

No wheelies for you until you really learn how to ride to bike. You got your bike like a month ago. Enjoy the bike, or I will be coming over to take it. Don't forget,for the parade the bike is all MINE!!![}:)]

NO FALLZ NO BALLZ

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
what parade would that be? the NYC PR day parade? are bikes gonna be out in force that day and if so, where at?

NYC potholes SUCK!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Originally posted by cyberdos

what parade would that be? the NYC PR day parade? are bikes gonna be out in force that day and if so, where at?

NYC potholes SUCK!

Nope, that parade will be too, too, too crowded for any bikes to really chill. I'm talking about the PR parade in BRentwood Long Island. There is going to be a ton of bikes. My club has a spot locked down in the streets where the parade will be rolling through. You should come. There's going to be bikes, hot cars, and best is all the woman come out to play. Its a fun event. I go every year!!!:D

NO FALLZ NO BALLZ

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.