Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i really dont post much, but i need help..I had to sell my 02 zx6r for a car..dont flame just listen :)... I am workin my azz of and well i will be ready to purchase another bike come april/may or even sooner...but i have a few questions... First of all im sticking with a "6" i love the power of the bike ..it was perfect for my 140 pound body :), but anyways...QUALITY: I have already been looking around and i was looking at the honda... Its going to be a choice of either Honda or Kawi and was just wondering if the 03-04 zx6r's qaulity has improved over the 02's? I looked at the 600rr and the paint and fasteners to me were of greater quality to my previous 02....Has the quality improved on the zx6r? Qaulity might help me make my overall decision... I still love Kawasaki and is of course right now..my first choice..i just need detail on the quality of the new 6's ... Thanks for everything guys/girls...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Personally I think honda would be last on my list of choices. The quality of honda is great, but well, the bike just seems boring to ride. Go #1Kaw #2Yami #3Suzuki #4 triumph #5 honda (I know Ill catch fire for the Triumph)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Triumph and quality are mutually exclusive - an oxymoron if you will.

Think Japanese, anything from the big four will last forever if properly taken care of - (ridden hard and serviced often).

Other than that, go with your gut. Which one gives you "that feeling"?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
as far as 600's they are close to preforming the same. if your into any cosmetic details they are up to your personal prefrence. overall quality of the bike they rank like this IMO

1. kawi 2. suzuki 3. yamaha

·
Registered
344 Posts
Honda's are great bikes, but Honda always designs in reliability over performance. That keeps their bikes from being exciting and on the top in terms of performance (I'm referring to street bikes, their race bikes always do well). They also seem to keep the weight up on their street bikes.

I own a CBR954 and a Kawasaki 636. If you're buying a litre bike, it doesn't make as much difference what you buy, all litre bikes have tons of power. If you're buying a 600, weight and power become more important. The added performance of the 636 displacement plus the radial brakes made the decision for me. The only other 600 I was considering was an R6.

Quality for me is simple. Stick with the Japanese bikes. I know a lot of people who own bikes. The only ones that have problems are the people who own non-Jap bikes (Ducatis and Aprilias are the 2 brands which break down most frequently when we go for rides).

·
Registered
80 Posts
If i bought on looks for '04 it would be GSXR6 1st R6 2nd ZX6 third....Hondas are just too "vanilla" for me.
IMO the ZX6 is the nicest looking bike by far until you get to the front end.....I cant get used to the front view and i havent liked it since it came out. I like the the Stacked headlights on the GSXR and think it makes for a "cleaner" looking front end. I have always thought that R6's were killer looking bikes and that hasnt changed.
As far as performance goes I think they're all close enough hit each other with a stick.
FWIW Big props to Kaw for their deep looking monochrome paint schemes sans all the gaudy graphics.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Personally I wouldn't worry too much about who's got the best fasteners and best paint...they're all going to have good paintjobs and a fastener is a fastener. Replace 'em with Pro-Bolt's if that's important to you. I've never noticed any new bikes having bad paint before...bad colors maybe. They all have high quality workmanship. Get whatever one sings loudest to ya, regardless of it's fasteners ;).

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If you want the ZX6, buy the 2004 because the '03's have that exhaust recall on them. I would like that new R6, though! I saw it at a dealership the other day and the thing looks badass. I like the new upside-down R1 swingarm.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok huys i really appreciate the help..now a few more questions if you dont mind...

Comfort: I know its a race rep, i know it will be sporty, i guess you can say im short at 5 9" at 140 pounds.. how would the bike fit me ...and an 04 ... i heard they re did the suspension..Oh yea and i love to do 300-400 mile sundays...

How many miles on a tank of gas? -i was getting roughly 150-160 on my 02...

thanks again fellas

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you want comfort, get a car. Both my 6's have a very radical riding position especially compared to my zx12. The fully adjustable Vortex rearsets probably don't help either. My hands go numb after about 25 miles.I think you just get used to it though,it;s the price you pay for this type of excitement.

I find the bike a bit of a tight, but no different to any other 600's. Mileage is around 115 per tank on a sunday,and about 130 with the wife on back. (ie more gentle!!!)

Suspension definately requires re-working if you are to ride it more aggressively than the average rider.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The suspension changes you mentioned...I believe you're thinking of the 6RR, not the 6R. The 6RR has been slightly modified from last year, the main changes are:

-New cylinder head
-Piston crowns changed to suit revised combustion chambers
-Larger valves (Intake up by 0.5mm)
-More aggressive camshafts
-Valve springs are new while retainers have been changed to lightweight sintered aluminium
-New twin injector fuel system (Secondary injector in the airbox)
-New breathing passageways in cylinder to improve crankcase breathing and reduce losses
-Closer ratio gearbox (similar to race kit item)
-New fork settings (New damping rates and internals)
-New diamond-like-carbon coating on fork inner tubes
-Rear suspensions lower spring holder is electrostatically coated to prevent corrosion
-Matt black frame and swingarm
-Green drive chain
-Redesigned airbox with a removable duct (when duct is removed more power results)
-Ratios for the oil and water pump gears have changed to reduce mechanical loss

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.