Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in March, I was readended by a taxi at a red light. He fell asleep and hit me at 40mph. I broke both bones in my lower left leg, broke my right thumb in three places and dislocated it, and broke my jaw in two places. The bike was totalled.

Well I just got home from picking up my 06 6R!!! Same as my 05, which I loved too! I have missed this thing so much!!! I cant describe the feeling I get riding it, but Im sure you all know it! Anyway, just thought Id say Im a fellow rider once again!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome back! Glad you're back in the saddle, hopefully you're fully recovered.

I'm always worried about getting rear-ended, here in California I always split lanes to the front of the line to avoid just that sort of thing happening to me at a stop sign or stop light. If that's not possible and there are two or more lanes available try to line up in the middle space between lanes to have an escape route forward since that's really the only way to go. We have a member in the BMW club here that has been spending the past year recovering from a broken back received at a border inspection station from being rear ended. The border patrol put the border inspection station on I-8 outside of San Diego just over the crest of a small hill and there was a long line, the rider was at the back of the line and the driver was speeding (not out of the ordinary out in the middle of nowhere).

Now to the serious stuff, what color did you get and what will be your first mod? :D

·
Registered
442 Posts
"and hit me at 40mph" ...ouch that might have hurt a little bit huh[:M69]

·
Registered
393 Posts
Glad you're ok and alive. People need to be a lot more careful - especially those whose job it is to drive! Welcome back!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got the lime green, just like my 05 was, love the color! No idea on my first mods yet. Probably do the jumper mod, and the turn signals have got to go. Then who knows...

Im sure it did hurt when I got hit, but I dont remember any of it. I dont even remember pulling up to the light, or really most of the first few days after. Just bits and pieces. Morphine rocks!!! But I do remember the pain from waking up after they put the rod in my tibia. And I remember the pain when it was time to change the dressings on the woundvac. They had to cut both side of my lower leg fully open to relieve the swelling or I would have lost the lower leg. They had a machine on it that sucked out the swelling. When it came time to change the dressing, they were literally peeling it off the muscles and open flesh. Never felt that much pain before in my life!!!

As for the insurance, their insurance paid off the old bike on the Kawa Card and cut me a check for 2400 for the rest(had 9k on the card, 2400 to cover the rest of the bike, and helmet, clothes, etc). Just signed the papers the other day to start the lawsuit again the taxi company owner and the driver. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
welcome back. when ever im stoped. i cant help but stare at my mirrors, same think happened to my neighbor. shattered his back. i learned from him.

·
Registered
543 Posts
broken jaw? SHIT! that sucks dude. glad you're back and with a new green machine! get some pics up when you can
anth

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HAHA the broken jaw was the least of my problems. Sucked bein wired for 7 weeks, but other than that, my leg was the big problem!!!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Man. Sounds painful. Glad you are ok and back riding again. I always look in my mirror when I'm stopped to make sure the care behind me stops. I leave it in 1st gear incase I had to move really fast. Not until the car behind me stops am I comfortable.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Originally posted by bluespecv03
HAHA the broken jaw was the least of my problems. Sucked bein wired for 7 weeks, but other than that, my leg was the big problem!!!
a buddy of mine broke his jaw and lost something like 35lbs while it was healing! damn, never want to experience that.....

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I lost 25-30 lbs because of the wired jaw. Good diet plan, shitty meals and a bad way to start a diet though.

Thank god for my gear. Ill admit it, usually I rode with a tshirt, jeans, sneakers, and the full face on. But that night, i happened to find my old jacket in my friends closet, so I took it and wore it. Also had gloves on. Only road rash was a bit on my knee, and some on my knuckles.

Now I have my full face, a good jacket, good gloves, and good boots. And Ill never go out without them. Ive definetly learned a lesson, just wish I didnt have to learn it so severely.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.