Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I received my first speeding ticket today and Im none to pleased.:(
It was on a side road and I had just left a stop light, went around a blind curve and he was sitting in the turn around lane. It was a 45 posted and he says he had me on radar going 74 which is complete b.s I was doing maybe 55 at most 60. Speeding yes, but not that fast Im certain of this since when I saw him I looked down at my speed and it indicated 50, I figured I was fine I always thought it was 55 there. But nothing I can do now, hopfully im allowed to take defensive driving so this doesn't go on my record, if so im screwed.

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
Challenge the ticket in court.
Request leniency as it is your first offense and if you don't look like a thug, then they'll generally let it go with no points.

That or just ask for a higher fine and no points.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Claiming 74 in a posted 45, in a turn? Yeah, I'm going to call BS unless you were doing some serious leaning. Then again, it depends on how the road is built, not the limit. There's a nice sweeping 's' down my street in a posted 45, but you can easily do 70+ without having to get far off the bike at all. More importantly, was the turn immediately after the light? If so, you can prove your bike doesn't accelerate to that speed before you initiate the turn.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Def go to court, make sure his gun has been calibrated and his certification to use it is up to date.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
^^that shit never works

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
Really? My buddy used it a lot and got out of 3-4 speeding tickets.

Must be a Massachusetts thing

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just dont want my insurance going up I pay a little over $100 every six months.:D And I need it dismissed my parents will be more than upset at this and I doubt they'll believe me that its b.s. Ill go in a suit if I have to to make the judge like me haha. Yeah the turn starts right as you go through the light, I got pulled over like 50-60ft from the lights, its a nice sweeper and I could easily take it at 70+ with little lean but I dont because its such a blind spot. But the thing is he didnt get me with his gun, he was driving and as soon as I came into view his lights were on and he signaled me to get over.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I just dont want my insurance going up I pay a little over $100 every six months.:D And I need it dismissed my parents will be more than upset at this and I doubt they'll believe me that its b.s. Ill go in a suit if I have to to make the judge like me haha. Yeah the turn starts right as you go through the light, I got pulled over like 50-60ft from the lights, its a nice sweeper and I could easily take it at 70+ with little lean but I dont because its such a blind spot. But the thing is he didnt get me with his gun, he was driving and as soon as I came into view his lights were on and he signaled me to get over.
Police cars now a days have radar on the car as well that is multi directional, they can also be driving and still radar you with it. What does your ticket say? The officer should have put what he used to clock your speed on the ticket. I'm sure he didn't pace you.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Police cars now a days have radar on the car as well that is multi directional, they can also be driving and still radar you with it. What does your ticket say? The officer should have put what he used to clock your speed on the ticket. I'm sure he didn't pace you.
It says MR next to the speed, he got me with radar.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Take defensive driving or deferred adjudication.

Or get a ticket lawyer.
-Cody

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went down to the municipal court after class and asked if I could sign up for defensive driving outright and get it over with, they said no it's to high a speed, I'll have to go before the judge and ask for it. Damn I'm so pissed off at this, o'well I'll deal with it in a month. Regardless it's gonna cost me a left nut there goes my new sidi boots.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can you get court supervision in your state? I got that, paid a right nut in fees (thanks Illinois!), and never had to take the class.
Honestly I dont have the slightest clue lol but ill do some research on it. Will that get it off my record as well?

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Take defensive driving or deferred adjudication.

Or get a ticket lawyer.
-Cody
^^^those are your options. And most municipalities will not let you take defensive driving if its 20mph+ over the speed limit.

For that speed, get a lawyer or pay the ticket. A lawyer doesn't cost any more than a ticket does, and more than likely it won't show up on your record.
-Cody

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
^^^those are your options. And most municipalities will not let you take defensive driving if its 20mph+ over the speed limit.

For that speed, get a lawyer or pay the ticket. A lawyer doesn't cost any more than a ticket does, and more than likely it won't show up on your record.
-Cody
hmm interesting. VA i took the class 2 seperate times, both for driving 20mph over. Of course this is a different state, hell VA could have changed since this happened 9 years ago.

GL OP!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Honestly I dont have the slightest clue lol but ill do some research on it. Will that get it off my record as well?
Yes. As long as you don't get a ticket within that supervision time, you're fine. If you do or don't show up to court to get that supervision, then it will get on your record. In IL, you're supposedly able to get two supervisions per year.

Basically you go to court, plead guilty and ask for supervision. Judge will give you like 4 months or whatever. Pay the rest of the fine/fees (if any) and you're set. They may give you school but that depends. It won't go on your record unless you fail to show up or get more tickets and don't get any more supervisions/leeways.

That's at least how you can swindle your way around in IL, not sure about TX.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
my suggestion; get used to it, or sell your bike
yellow paperwork in part of owning a motorcycle...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts