Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I went home and changed the spark plugs on my bike. I had everything back together except my tank. I connected the fuel line and then I connected the electrican connector to the tank. As I did it sparked and started to turn light up before I could get it off. I diconnected it and and there was a little smoke comming off of it. One of the three connectors in the plug welded onto the tank side of the connector. It was he ground wire. So it is broke off on the wiring harness side. The wires on the plug that lead to the wiring harness have melted some and I can see bare wire now. I can only see a couple inches of the wires. My question is what do you think caused this to happen? Also how bad is it to fix? What am I all going to have to do?

·
Registered
478 Posts
well i was installing my LEDlights on my plate , also ran the accent lights to the front from the same connector. everything works good, so put all my chit back. ......... bike wont start or anything? checked the 10a fuse blew it, install another fuse i get nothing . think i drained the battery? i have no clue? is the rear lamps <LEDS> & THE RUNNING accent lights in front to much from 1 connector ? i know its getto rig! some info would help[:M74]

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
dude it sounds like your wires are grounded somewhere. done got pinched or rubbed to where it's touching the frame. i've had my tank off four times and never unhooked the battery altho it is a good idea. did you have your switch on when you hooked the connectors back? pull the wiring harness out some, tape the wires up that are burnt and get some quick connect wire plugs, cut the plug out and connect your wires back and hope for the best. or buy a wiring harness off ebay or somewhere and replace it.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Only replace toasted wire, replace connector with anything you can find that isnt ghetto

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The switch was not on. One of the wires being grounded like you said is what I thought, but didnt know what would have caused it right then. Another question, this was the first time I have had to completle remove my tank (usually I just have to prop it up. Is the wires from the tank suposed to go under the bracket that the seat mounts on. Because I noticed there is a tab on top to hold wires but isnt holding anything. I remember taking to the guy at the dealer who put my battery in saying the it was a pain to do, and thought maybe he mistakenly put the wires underneath rather then overtop held by the tab? The tab is on top of top of the bracket on the right side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.