Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,
A few weeks ago I was at a light and the person in front of me decided, for whatever reason, to back up. I had two optoins: let him hit me or drop the bike.
I chose to drop the bike. We exchanged insurance info, and since i only have liability (and no damage to his vehicle) i had to file the claim with his insurance.
Based on my story they have found him at fault and will pay for repairs....my questions is are they going to go for what i got an estimate for .
everything that has damage is only mildly scratched, with the exeptoin of the ront blinker(that's busted) The bike is only 1 month onld
the fairing has two small 1/4" scratches: I want it replaced, not bondoed and painted
Mirror scratched
bar end scratched
brake lever scratched
Exhaust heat sheild scratched
and small scratches on exhaust pipe.

My question....will they replace all those items regardless of how small the scratches are? Personally, if i caused them I could live with them. but since it's this guys fault and the bike is brand new, I want the bike pristine!
Is it reasonable for me to want all the scratched items replaced including the exhaust which has very small scratches. (of course an upgraded will be fitted up if they do cover it)

What's your input/advise?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
IMO if your bike was brand new without any damage or scratches before he decided to back into you, then that's what the insurance should pay for. They need to pay for repairs or replacement of parts to get it back to the way it was before.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
OK,
A few weeks ago I was at a light and the person in front of me decided, for whatever reason, to back up. I had two optoins: let him hit me or drop the bike.
I chose to drop the bike. We exchanged insurance info, and since i only have liability (and no damage to his vehicle) i had to file the claim with his insurance.
Based on my story they have found him at fault and will pay for repairs....my questions is are they going to go for what i got an estimate for .
everything that has damage is only mildly scratched, with the exeptoin of the ront blinker(that's busted) The bike is only 1 month onld
the fairing has two small 1/4" scratches: I want it replaced, not bondoed and painted
Mirror scratched
bar end scratched
brake lever scratched
Exhaust heat sheild scratched
and small scratches on exhaust pipe.

My question....will they replace all those items regardless of how small the scratches are? Personally, if i caused them I could live with them. but since it's this guys fault and the bike is brand new, I want the bike pristine!
Is it reasonable for me to want all the scratched items replaced including the exhaust which has very small scratches. (of course an upgraded will be fitted up if they do cover it)

What's your input/advise?
If parts were not damaged before the accident and are damaged now and the driver is at fault and his insurance has agreed to pay for repairs, they have to fix everything that's been damaged as a result of the accident. Just how it works... Insurance is there to repair vehicles to their pre-accident state. Not just the most important or expensive parts they feel like.

If they give you trouble, talk to a lawyer.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
If parts were not damaged before the accident and are damaged now and the driver is at fault and his insurance has agreed to pay for repairs, they have to fix everything that's been damaged as a result of the accident. Just how it works... Insurance is there to repair vehicles to their pre-accident state. Not just the most important or expensive parts they feel like.

Exactly right.

On an off note, you are lucky that his insurance has agreed to pay for this if you voluntarily dropped the bike before any contact was made. Oh and your third choice would have been to beep the horn...

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
Exactly right.

On an off note, you are lucky that his insurance has agreed to pay for this if you voluntarily dropped the bike before any contact was made. Oh and your third choice would have been to beep the horn...
yep, they have to put the vehicle back to the condition it was prior to the accident.

a 4th option...back up, yourself?

5th...NOT be park so close...

·
Registered
692 Posts
I had somebody put their truck in reverse in front of me last night.. I knew they didn't see me. So I just twisted the throttle and they stopped awful quick. Gotta love them slip-ons.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Exactly right.

screaming works too and is even faster than a horn. j

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just be happy that you're fine and that your bike is going to be back to normal soon enough. Chalk it up to experience and remember not to do it again.

Glad everything worked out okay.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Thanks guys....
No time to back/horn...I was probably a little too close. Oh, well.
No time to use horn? how slow does your left thumb move exactly?

:plusone: on the lucky his insurance picked up the tab. For future reference it's not really a good idea to dump the bike in every panic situation.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I totally understand. I had a split second to decided to put it down or let him hit me. I chose the lesser of two evils, IMHO. Some fiends said I should have let him hit me, but who knows if the bike woulda fell on my leg and trapped me then causing some crappy damage to me!
Anyways, think the'll replace the pipe with super small, but evident and visible scratches?
My theory is the bike was perfect before, and needs to be perfect after...no bondo, no paint, and definatly no scratches! regardless of how small the damage is

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
Yeah, I totally understand. I had a split second to decided to put it down or let him hit me. I chose the lesser of two evils, IMHO. Some fiends said I should have let him hit me, but who knows if the bike woulda fell on my leg and trapped me then causing some crappy damage to me!
Anyways, think the'll replace the pipe with super small, but evident and visible scratches?
My theory is the bike was perfect before, and needs to be perfect after...no bondo, no paint, and definatly no scratches! regardless of how small the damage is

1 - 14 of 14 Posts