Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bike 89 zx7 H1

background: bike came with 87 gpz 900 carbs on it, and the stock carbs dis-assembled in a bag. Bike ran like shit with those carbs on it. I replaced spark plugs and wires and put the stock carbs together, was missing a few little bits but I ordered them and got them together. Now bike with stock carbs on it will idle at 2kish rpm with the throttle wide open, dies if you close the throttle. With the throttle wide open if you reach down and lift the metal thing that slides across the opening and has the big needle in it then the bike runs awesome and revs up FAST.

Thoughts on what I should look at? The carbs did look like a tank of rust had originally taken them out, should I maybe polish the things I'm raising to make it run better so that they move smoother on their own?

T

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
it sounds like maybe you have some linkage missing that opens what you are manualy opening.

do you have the manual to the carbs? bikebandit.com is very helpful for looking at stock parts diagram

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
The slides aren't lifting on their own...? Make sure the outer lip of the diaphrams are sitting down in the groove on the carb before you put the top cap on....this can be tough sometimes....but if there is a leak, they won't lift.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well got it a little sorted out, I had put the needles in on top of their little plastic seats instead of under them. Now bike runs like a champ when I get it running, but I need to use starting fluid to get it to start. Does'nt like running at low rpm on the choke but off the choke it'll idle down to 1k.

Ideas? I'm thinking maybe need to raise the level of the needle jets a little.

T

·
Registered
235 Posts
Does'nt like running at low rpm on the choke but off the choke it'll idle down to 1k.
Isnt this Normal?
but isnt 1k too low? Shouldnt idle be set at 1300rpms?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol every day I work on the bike I get a little closer.

Now I've got it starting great but if I hit the choke/give it any gas then it dies.

T

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, are the needle jet holders suppose to be something I can see thru lengthwise? or goes the gas go out thru the holes in the side and then back in thru the smaller holes?(part 13091 on the following pic)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts