Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm in san francisco for business, setting in traffic, watching all you guys go by, splitting lanes...i hate you...i hate you all...ya'll suck!!! hehehehe:) J/K!!! :D

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,507 Posts
I felt the same way when I went to Cali for MotoGP, and then the following weeks back in Tampa. I spent 10 days in Cali, and almost got used to the river of bikes sharing lanes around my rental cage...got back to tampa sitting in gridlock traffic in the bike thinking, "damnit...damnit...damnit..." But I just keep thinking back to when I had my first bike...I was sitting in traffic in my Z and a bike came by splitting lanes, and a cop up ahead of him just opened his door and got out of the car and stood there. The biker stopped, and the cop pointed at him, and pointed at a parking lot, then got back in the car but left the door open. Pulled the guy over and probably gave him a hefty fine too. I've split lanes cali-style once in my life, on the 636...probably about 10 miles to work, traffic was way more backed up than it usually is...like it's usually only gridlock for the last 1/4 or 1/2 mile (I have a pretty easy commute) but this time it was backed up almost all the way to my house. So I split the lanes the whole way to work, made it in record time, and only had four cars try to cut me off, two ambulances blip their sirens at me, and one guy open his door on me (good thing the 636 has great brakes...did a stoppie a few feet from his door jam, and when the back tire came down it spooked the guy and he slammed his door shut and I gunned it to get away from the jackass)...anyway...so that occurance convinced me to play nicely from that point on. Drivers in Tampa are just too terrible, too lazy, too distracted, too stupid, too old, and too assholish to be trusted with your life and livelihood like that. They WILL pull out right in front of you on purpose. It's a fucking game to them. If you wreck, you lose the game. They don't realize how much it hurts, and really don't give two shits anyway. Really sucks. :/

·
Registered
875 Posts
Originally posted by 05RR Pilot
Don't hate us, join us!!!

I've been thinking about it for the last few years.... the only thing that keeps me sane in winter is snowboarding, but you have that in some parts of cali too.

·
Registered
264 Posts
in palmdale the sheriff's actually recomend splitting lanes. they say they dont want to see us get sandwiched or rear ended into the car in front

G

·
Originally posted by anthony636
in palmdale the sheriff's actually recomend splitting lanes. they say they dont want to see us get sandwiched or rear ended into the car in front
sounds like heaven :(

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I got pulled over in vegas splitting lanes and the cop was pretty cool, just let us know it wasn't legal in Nevada. You can smoke while eating and holding a 3 year old, but you can't lane split, wtf.

P.S. Firefox 2.0 auto spell check rocks.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I hate them for the comfortable riding weather all year around.. [8D]

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,507 Posts
Originally posted by Rivetgeek
You can smoke while eating and holding a 3 year old, but you can't lane split, wtf.
That threw me off about Cali, man. Almost everywhere else in the US is like that. FL you can't smoke inside a restaurant, but every restaurant has an outdoor section for smokers. Most of the US has smoking sections inside restaurants. Cali's all ass-backwards, man. :D

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Not to derail too far, but yeah honestly, growing up in cali, I cant stand going to places that allow smoking inside. The last thing i want after paying $100 for dinner is to smell a bunch of smoke from three tables over.

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
It's not the Lane Splitting or great weather and year round riding as pointed out by Wharthog & Zero Cool, but everything else as well, great rodes, the beach, nightlife, women, Mexico within minutes (at least for me and Wharthog), twisties, skiing, and pretty much anything everyone else has. I will miss it when I leave, but that won't be anytime soon (at least not for a year)...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Cali is great. The great weather all year round is a big plus.And since we live in teh desert here its even less likely to get snow or rain. I wonder if the Lancaster cops feel the same way as the palmdale cops seem as how they share the city limit sign lol.

Have a great one and ride safe
Deedee

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just moved here and am liking it. I just dont like it that people think its the center of the universe (especially LA). It seems like people never move away because they dont have to, so they dont experience other lifestyles. Someone called me small-town cus I came from Portland, OR [:M99]

EDIT: Without some excellent useful talent or a degree its tough. I have a degree and a good first job and I'm spending almost half my income on rent... I also live about 3 blocks to the beach :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
It is not to bad I guess as far as work and stuff. We are making it here with hubbys work and mine plus his side job lol. But then again we have 4 kids so...

Living that close to the beach is expensive here. It seems to me that it is almost double for rent and house prices as it is a bit further away.

Without skills or a college education it is hard to make a good living anywhere.

Have a great one and ride safe
Deedee

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
California is expensive and the jobs don't pay much, but not having a college degree makes it hard anywhere like deedee said above. If you are single, you'll definitely have to get into a roommate situation; if you are married, two incomes is a must. I got here through the military and stayed because I wanted to raise my children here. As much as I like it here, now that my kids are on their own, I am strongly considering a move to either Florida or New York. I'll miss this place though, great times...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.