Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
298 Posts
Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act!! In a nutshell, no manufacturer/dealer/vendor/etc. can void your warranty unless they can PROVE that any damages to your product (i.e car/motorcycle/computer/printer/whatever) are a DIRECT result of the work that was done (either by you/your friends/your mechanic/etc.)

For example, if you install an aftermarket pipe and your engine seizes a week later, they're gonna have to PROVE that the pipe is what caused the engine failure (i.e. highly unlikely). The dealer/manufacturer can't simply void your warranty on the basis that you have an aftermarket exhaust. However, if they can PROVE that your engine seized because you only added 2 quarts instead of 4 (or 4.2...whatever) quarts, then YES they can void your warranty.

Basically, the Magnusson-Moss Act stipulates that as a consumer/owner of a product, you can legally do whatever you want to your product (e.g. all maintenance such as oil changes; any modifications such as jet kits, aftermarket brakes, exhausts, headers, turbos, blah blah blah...) - and if anything goes wrong, it is burden of the dealer/manufacturer to PROVE that your work/modifications DIRECTLY CAUSED the malfunction/failure.

**DISCLAIMER** I ain't no frickin lawyer!!! ;) And also keep in mind that just because there exists such a "consumer-friendly" law, it doesn't mean that you won't have to fight like hell to get the dealer/manufacturer to comply!! From what I've heard (on other motorcycle/car forums) it's still a PITA to prevent the dealer/manufacturer from trying to void your warranty.

Do a Google search on "Magnusson+Moss+Warranty - tons of results.

inca jones
2003 636 Black

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.