Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a Question???? URGENT!!!

2K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  yratellim 
#1 ·
do you know how to do maintence yourself? follow your manual and if they say "it will viod your warranty" give them the finger. alot of that stuff is easy to accomplish yourself.

and yes, $290 is extreme.

#2 ·
I might be wrong, but I don't believe that it will void the warrenty. I have never taken my bike to the Kawi dealer to have stuff done. Well, I had them do warrenty work, but never maintenance. Even if you just keep the receipts, and write down the date and milage, you should be fine. You could even go to a local shop, which might be cheaper. I have plenty of friends who don't take their stuff to the dealer for maintenance, and haven't seen a problem yet. You might be able to contact Kawasaki if you are really worried about it.

C-Ya.....Skiv
http://www.SportbikeLinks.net
'03 ZX6r
'91 ZX6d
http://www.geocities.com/skiv_here/6r.html

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, but glory lasts forever"

#3 ·
No, it won't void your warranty. They are just trying to pull the wool over your eyes. That sounds like one heck of a shady dealer. lol

Tell them to stick it, and that you will see them should anything go wrong with your bike during the warranty period. They will do it for free, and they will like it!:D

Not to mention that their costs are absurd. Take your bike to another place for your services.

#5 ·
Thanks Everyone..
I just read carefully my warraty and Owner's obligations and it said
"Owner must deliver the motocycle to an authorized kawa motorcycle dealer or equally qualified service facility for inspection, maintenance services and adjustments according to the periodic maintenance chart contained in the owners manual" :D
tomorrow I will call some dealers and i will ask prices ;)
Thanks so much by your comments and suggests and if you know any dealer close to PLEASANT HILL where I can go ..please let me know. ;)
Thanks again :D:D:D:D

#9 ·
What's Up Everyone!!
I have a question [?]
I bought my bike a month ago and added an engine's warranty by 5 years. :)
My bike (Kawa ZX-6R 2003) [8D] is over 500 miles and it needs its first maintenance.
I thought it was only a change oil and that's it
But when i called to my Kawasaki Service Department
They tell me that the first maintenance over 500 miles is:
- Oil Change
- Clear Air Filter
- Synch Charbs / injectors
- Lubing
- Adjust Fasteners / Steerings
- Functional Checks
- Lube & Adjust Chain
- Coolant, ET....
All this maintenance is 290.00+taxes [xx(][xx(]
They tell me also that if I don't take this first maintenance I lost my engine's warranty. What the hell...!! :(
I check my manual up and saw periodic maintenance chart
- Idle Speed-Check
- Throttle Control System
- Evaporative Emission Control System
- Brake light switch-check
- Brake fluid level-check
- Clutch-adjust
- Steering-check
- Nut, bolt and fastener tightness - check
- Engine oil change
- Oil filter - replace
- Radiator hoses, connections - check
- Drive chain - lubricate
- Drive chain slack-check

I think they will all this stuff done (Fist Maintenance) [?]

They let me know also:
The next maintenance is over 3750 miles.... other 290 bucks [V][V] and
Over 7500 miles my bike needs a Valve Adjustment plus maintenance = 500 bucks [V][V][V][V][V]

This is my first time that i buy a new bike.[8D]
Is it OK to pay 290 bucks [V][V] for my first maintenance [?]
Please let me know what you think
Thanks !!!

#12 ·
Yes, I live in Pleasant Hill - SF Bay Are.. alvinwij [^]
Just the last saturday I got lost in lafayette and find a road to go
to the mountain.. it's road takes around 1 1/4 hours or + ..up & down ..many curves, many u-turn..that very crazy and funny this road... and you can see also a beautiful landscape..

let me know if you and everyone would like to go..any weekend..

#13 ·
That $$$$$$ seems a bit rich to me [}:)]
I got my '01 first service and it was $175Aust all up
so ring around and get the book stamped when you do get it serviced
and dont get ripped off !!! [}:)][}:)][}:)]
You can get any machanic to do the sevice and the warrantie is still good !

mfzx6r

#14 ·
Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act!! In a nutshell, no manufacturer/dealer/vendor/etc. can void your warranty unless they can PROVE that any damages to your product (i.e car/motorcycle/computer/printer/whatever) are a DIRECT result of the work that was done (either by you/your friends/your mechanic/etc.)

For example, if you install an aftermarket pipe and your engine seizes a week later, they're gonna have to PROVE that the pipe is what caused the engine failure (i.e. highly unlikely). The dealer/manufacturer can't simply void your warranty on the basis that you have an aftermarket exhaust. However, if they can PROVE that your engine seized because you only added 2 quarts instead of 4 (or 4.2...whatever) quarts, then YES they can void your warranty.

Basically, the Magnusson-Moss Act stipulates that as a consumer/owner of a product, you can legally do whatever you want to your product (e.g. all maintenance such as oil changes; any modifications such as jet kits, aftermarket brakes, exhausts, headers, turbos, blah blah blah...) - and if anything goes wrong, it is burden of the dealer/manufacturer to PROVE that your work/modifications DIRECTLY CAUSED the malfunction/failure.

**DISCLAIMER** I ain't no frickin lawyer!!! ;) And also keep in mind that just because there exists such a "consumer-friendly" law, it doesn't mean that you won't have to fight like hell to get the dealer/manufacturer to comply!! From what I've heard (on other motorcycle/car forums) it's still a PITA to prevent the dealer/manufacturer from trying to void your warranty.

Do a Google search on "Magnusson+Moss+Warranty - tons of results.

inca jones
2003 636 Black

#15 ·
Pull out your extended warranty paperwork and READ! The contract governs and so you need to look at the fine print to see what you agreed to when you purchased the extended warranty.

The basic warranty is covered in the manual. Read that.

Then get back to us as I am interested to see what you find.

BTW-our opinions mean nothing, the contract means everything!

Good luck!

Brucelee
2002 6R Chrome Yellow

"It is the art of fighting, without fighting!"

#16 ·
Dont worry about voiding your warranty, it's not going to happen. Also alot of what they say they are going to do at the first service is bullshit. They're not going to clean your "brand new" air filter
This IS what they are going to do:
Take your bottom fairing off. Maybe even lay it on the ground to give it a few new scratches (free of charge though),
then going to change your oil and oil filter, then put your scratched fairing back on, then push your chain up using their finger, if its too loose they "might" tighten it, but at 500 miles on your bike it shouldn't need adjustment yet. But they will spay a bit of chain wax or a cheaper lub on your chain. And thats IT. Your DONE!
Dont tell me you cant change the oil yourself and save 290 bucks!
All the other stuff on your list is crap. Its normall stuff.
Steering-check can you stear the bike?
Brake level-check Can you look right in front of you at the resivour
Radiator hoses check is there a big green puddle on the ground
Brake light-check When you press brake does tail light get bright

These checks are standard pre-ride checks not to be done by the Stealership. Also you dont get your first valve adjustment until 15,000 miles.

#17 ·
Dealerships are total ripoffs. Keep your recipts from oil, filters, even stuff like chain lube, cleaners, any thing that has to do with your bike, keep them. You never know what might come in handy. As long as you actually do the maintenance, like stated before, they have to PROVE that it is your fault in some way.

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

#18 ·
Again, I would suggest that you READ THE EXTENDED WARRANTY CONTRACT THAT YOU SIGNED! This will govern unless it is contrary to state law and then the burden of proof of that fact is on you!

Assurances from folks on this website mean nothing if you agreed to something in writing and it is legal.

Good luck

Brucelee

Brucelee
2002 6R Chrome Yellow

"It is the art of fighting, without fighting!"

#21 ·
I am an attorney here in AZ. For the most part these kinds of "requirements" in a warranty are void. The dealer must prove that your lack of maintenance or aftermarket parts is the sole cause for the repair. This is usually almost impossible for them to do. However, you should be aware that you will be the one arguing forever with the dealer about breach of contract issues, and you will be the one filing a lawsuit to enforce your contract. I can assure you that the cost of a lawsuit, as well as the 2-3 years for resolution, is just not worth it most of the time.

My recommendation is to simply shop around and find a dealer who has reasonable prices. I recently had my first service done for around $130. Good luck.

Woody

#22 ·
Originally posted by tommyboynjataol

Dont worry about voiding your warranty, it's not going to happen. Also alot of what they say they are going to do at the first service is bullshit. They're not going to clean your "brand new" air filter
This IS what they are going to do:
Take your bottom fairing off. Maybe even lay it on the ground to give it a few new scratches (free of charge though),
then going to change your oil and oil filter, then put your scratched fairing back on, then push your chain up using their finger, if its too loose they "might" tighten it, but at 500 miles on your bike it shouldn't need adjustment yet. But they will spay a bit of chain wax or a cheaper lub on your chain. And thats IT. Your DONE!
Dont tell me you cant change the oil yourself and save 290 bucks!
All the other stuff on your list is crap. Its normall stuff.
Steering-check can you stear the bike?
Brake level-check Can you look right in front of you at the resivour
Radiator hoses check is there a big green puddle on the ground
Brake light-check When you press brake does tail light get bright

These checks are standard pre-ride checks not to be done by the Stealership. Also you dont get your first valve adjustment until 15,000 miles.
LMFAO.....

jchristian28, you thought YOU were getting hosed, see my post on the same thing.....

I don't have the extended warantee but I was just told I'd have to pay $400 freakin dollars and I HAD to have the valves adjusted at 600 miles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just walked out shaking my head... the service guy was serious as a heart attack too. On the way out I met a guy w/ an '03 who had dropped his bike off at 750 miles at 5:00 PM and was coming back later to pick it up... he was getting charged $450 !! Funny thing is, the service guy told me there was 6 hours of labor involved (hence the cost) .... I get a funny feeling they won't be working on his bike til 11 at nite [V][V][V]

I can change my own friggin oil and you can be damned sure I'll be looking for an honest outfit to do my valves when the time really comes :(

'02 Green ZX-6R Limited Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.