Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a yellow zx6 2002, i want yellow wheels!!!

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  GodSpeed 
#1 ·
what options do i have as far getting the stock wheels painted, or just buying yellow ones?!?!?! help?!?!?!

#4 ·
i want the same thing but i looked into powder coating and its costly. cheaper IF you can find yellow rims on Ebay and RESELL you stock ones but you'll be hardpressed to find them and you will be bidding against me. let us know if you find a cheaper alternative

#5 ·
Originally posted by cheetahflyer
i want the same thing but i looked into powder coating and its costly. cheaper IF you can find yellow rims on Ebay and RESELL you stock ones but you'll be hardpressed to find them and you will be bidding against me. let us know if you find a cheaper alternative
Powder coating is generall pretty cheap, I can get both my wheels done for under $100.

#14 ·
Bought a pair on ebay,got a quote from a company in findon that will sand blast them for £15 each and will get them powder coated by a sprayshop in Lancing that the company i work for use to coat the window frames that we make. I will ask them if this price is a favour price or if open to others. Will probably put my old wheels on ebay to pay for it all.[8D]

#15 ·
Be careful when getting stuff powder coated. If a shop uses "cheap" materials to powder coat it is more likely to develop "holes" and not hold up as much. Also with powder coat know that if you ever scratch the coat you will never be able to find a complete match to real paint and to repair it properly you will need to re-powder coat it again.

With that said it cost me like $500 to have my entire frame powdercoated (not including cost to dismantle the bike so they could spray and burn the powder coat). But they gave me a good deal because they wanted to see if they "could do it" and was kinda like test subject.

#16 ·
Originally posted by mick6r
Bought a pair on ebay,got a quote from a company in findon that will sand blast them for £15 each and will get them powder coated by a sprayshop in Lancing that the company i work for use to coat the window frames that we make. I will ask them if this price is a favour price or if open to others. Will probably put my old wheels on ebay to pay for it all.[8D]
if it is open to others then i think i will be heading down there[8D]

also have you got a name of the company that sand blasts them

#18 ·
I've heard hat those places that will powder coat super cheap can do so because they burn the old paint off in a high temp oven. Some claim that the tempratures in the over are high enough to re-heat-treat the aluminum. This very well could be true, and if it were to anneal it at the wrong temperature it could drastically change the material properties of the wheels, making them brittle or soft. The money in powder coating thus usually comes in the form of media blasting, so just check to make sure before you drop of your wheels.

Just a thought.

#19 ·
Originally posted by cheetahflyer
the only place in my town that does it wanted like 350 for the set and i can buy new rims on ebay for that. maybe that guy was a jackass and i need to shop around...sorry guys

DL
I had a set of wheels done for my CAR for less than that, and there were 5 wheels altogether.. It cost me $150 for 5 wheels and it was a hell of a job too! Flawless.

#22 ·
I think you'd have to heat the aluminum up to about 500*F. I know there are paints out there that withstand twice that. Be careful.

You could always just paint it. I know guys that rather paint than PC wheels. PC chips and you're re-PCing.
Sand it down good, prime it well, good prep work, wet sand, etc. Put on a good number of coats and many coats of clearcoat and you'll be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.