Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 05 zx 636 and it will not run turns over but will not start I have checked everything. Battery is good it's got good gas new plugs an its firing inj r working and putting out gas, down switch is working. It's my friends bike and what started it was the water pump started leaking and he put a new one on it and did a oil change got on it ride it down the road went threw 1st and 2nd gear and hit 3rd and the bike cut out and had to push it back home he told me once he got it back it started up and ran bout a min an cut off and now I got it and checked it out I even put a little starting fluid in it something I don't like it do but still not hitting I even cleaned the tank and put more gas in it (93) cleaned the inj all 8 bike has a lot of add ons power commander 3 with ignition module 3 plus the shift kit all of its is Dyno jet we have taken that system off and tried it and still will not run so I put it back on still the same. I even tried taking the gas tank off my 09 zx10r to check the fuel pressure and put the 636 tank on my 10 and it ran with it on the 10 but still the 636 is not. Anybody out where got a clue what it maybe bc I don't please anyone no something I don't

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
An it has a full akrapovic sp series and the cable is off the servo without the block plate it still moves when u turn the key on

·
Registered
28 Posts
If it's not trying to fire even with starting fluid, I would suspect something with the ignition system. Check the plugs and make sure the timing is right. I would try jumping it from a car battery, just make sure the car isn't running.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
If it's not trying to fire even with starting fluid, I would suspect something with the ignition system. Check the plugs and make sure the timing is right. I would try jumping it from a car battery, just make sure the car isn't running.
Doesn't matter if the car is running or not. Common myth.

Besides, the bike ran fine and cut out on the road shifting through gears. A battery doesn't just suddenly die, so a jump isn't going to help this situation. Sounds to me like you have a switch or something shorted to ground. I'd check all fuses and check for stray wires touching the frame. Your friend just replaced some parts and now you're having problems. All this other stuff you did was a waste of time; bike ran fine, parts were replaced, bike won't run. You need to back track and check over everything where your friend was working. He may have broken a wire or pulled one loose too. Sounds like an electrical fault to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have checked every inch of wire on the bike and went down to the water pump its not a whole lot around it. And elec work comes 2nd hand to me bc I'm a a/c & elec tech for a ford deal. But don't mean none thing no a bike. What wood b the best way to check the timing

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would bet that LARRYJ is right bikes dont just die for no reason..its got to be a fuse relay wire something elec.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
LOL Hilarious...But if you got money to throw away take whatever risk you'd like.
I think I have done it about 30 times...maybe more.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
I have checked every inch of wire on the bike and went down to the water pump its not a whole lot around it. And elec work comes 2nd hand to me bc I'm a a/c & elec tech for a ford deal. But don't mean none thing no a bike. What wood b the best way to check the timing
Changing the water pump wouldn't affect the timing.

If it's not starting with starting fluid you're either missing compression or spark. If you can't check compression pull the plug and check for spark on all 4 cylinders.

·
Powerhungry
37,707 Posts
LOL Hilarious...But if you got money to throw away take whatever risk you'd like.
he is right.
while its true, the car can be running.
i dont recommend it. the bike doesnt NEED it to be running. they take so very little energy, just the battery is plenty.

also, the vehicle being jumped from is generally the one at risk. due to charging spikes when the dead vehicle starts.
i doubt thats an issue with the bike tho.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
when you hit the start button, grab a hold of the wiring harness(located right by your radiator cap), give it a giggle....it worked for me

KAWI ziptied some of the harness to the frame, causing some rubbing / etc. so sometimes things ground out

·
Pursebully
37,549 Posts
please anyone no something I don't
Yes...grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc.

You write like you're in third grade. Form some complete sentences and you'll likely get more help and respect around here.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
he is right.
while its true, the car can be running.
i dont recommend it. the bike doesnt NEED it to be running. they take so very little energy, just the battery is plenty.

also, the vehicle being jumped from is generally the one at risk. due to charging spikes when the dead vehicle starts.
i doubt thats an issue with the bike tho.
I'm not commenting in regards to the possibility to do it, I'm posting in regard that it's a myth. It is in fact not simply a myth, there are bike charging systems that will be fried in an attempt to regulate the 100+ amp alternator output from a running car or truck.

FWIW: A car or truck will never be damaged merely by a jumped bike starting up and putting out a charge. That said the high output alternators in goldwings are the possible exception.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
There's no risk. I'm an electrician. Shit doesn't work that way. The "system" regulates voltage, not current. The individual component (lights, pump, whatever) draws a certain number of amps for a given applied voltage based on its own resistance (or impedance for AC systems). DRAWS, as in it takes what it needs. Current isn't forced into a device. 12 volts is 12 volts. You don't know what you're talking about.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts