Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

There has been oil leakages from the rear shock several times last month.
Not any more leakage.(I think tube ran out of oil)
Now I look like a ping pong ball on the road.
Shocks are not being absorbed anymore.Moving up and down too many times even I pass on a small hole.

Okay.According to service manual if oil leakage is observed shock must be replaced with a new one.I have called the local dealer of kawasaki located in Istanbul.This part costs almost $1K.(!!!????)

I placed an order from ebay.It is a shock from a used 08ninja bike.It takes about a month to arrive here istanbul from NY.This one is faulty maybe I won't be able know till I get the part and mount on the bike.

What do you guys think, can it be dangerous to ride my bike with a zero oiled rear shock?Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
replaced my rear shock with a used one which I bought from ebay
it worked.It cost $130 including the part, shipping and service payment for replacement.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
they don't offer an equivalent after market one that is cheaper ?

Thanks .

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
It's their location (importing to Istanbul). Although depending on shipping and all you can get a Penske rear shock for around $800 new and a Works Performance stock style one for $415 or the pro-series one for $600... I think the OP is mainly looking for the cheapest possible option for replacing the stocker.

·
Registered
218 Posts
they don't offer an equivalent after market one that is cheaper ?

Thanks .
An aftermarket shock for less than $100? That's a BIT optimistic... A used OEM will easily be the cheapest option I've seen at $50-100, I don't think aftermarket options exist under the $400-500 range.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the previous shock has been set to its factory default setting.ive been riding with my girl friend (passenger) for couple of months.she and I weight totally 270lbs.New shock has been set to level 3.hopefully this will save the rear shock this time.

to vex : yes probably importing costs increases the price of the spare parts in istanbul.besides 250r costs $7500 in turkey.

thanks for listening story folks, sailing on a boat at the very south of the country,shaking on the roof and trying to type this with an ipad

cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
is upgrading to a zx6r or R1 shock straight forward?

since I don't have necessary tools and workshop I did not think of turning this repair into an ambitious project.

but for sure that would be nice to have another durable and serious rear shock on my bike.

another thing is I have noticed oil leakage from one of my front forks.

when I first bought the bike there was a little oil on one of the forks.our local mechanic did a repair on it.I really do not count on that guy.Probably he did something wrong, probably the viscosity of the fork oil he used was not matching the required one specified on the service manual.or the amount of the oil was wrong or was not level for both forks.

I am hopeless about bike services in istanbul really.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts