Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode a honda rebel 250 for awhile that i was renting. My friend needed to get rid of his ninja because his wife was forcing him to so i bought his bike.

This bike is ridiculously fast (compared to the 250) but im old and i ride slow so im hoping it wont be too hard to learn as a street bike.

Its been down and has cracked front and side fairings and one busted off frame slider but it seems to run perfect. As far as mods. it has a micron exhaust and upgraded rear sprockets. Other then that i dont know.

I rode it for a few hours the past few days and its very uncomfortable LOL. Im working on the proper riding position and taking the pressure off my wrists but i also can barely touch the ground.

So my first mod is getting it lowered. I know it affects the handling but i can always raise it back up once i feel comfortable on it. Do i need a shorter kick stand?? The shop didnt mention anything about that.

·
Registered
633 Posts
how much are you going to lower it? When you ride and stop at the lights pull up in the wheel ruts so you can touch the ground..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rode all morning today and im actually getting used to the height. I may not even lower it anymore even though i ordered the links. I just wanted maybe an inch lower.

On hills is where i have the most trouble. If i put my foot on the brake then i cant go into neutral since im balancing the bike with my right foot. If i balance on my right foot the bike will roll backwards. I guess i just need lots of practice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As long as you don't go nuts with the throttle, its a great bike to progress on.

Oddly, I find it v comfortable, though my other bike is a 2008 CBR1000RR which does a nice job of crippling me.

I rode the ZX6R with lowering links when I bought it from the prior owner. It did change the handling a little, though the tires were flat when I test rode it, so I can't be definitive. I didn't change the stand when I raised the bike back to stock -seems to work lowered and stock.

Enjoy.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
I rode all morning today and im actually getting used to the height. I may not even lower it anymore even though i ordered the links. I just wanted maybe an inch lower.

On hills is where i have the most trouble. If i put my foot on the brake then i cant go into neutral since im balancing the bike with my right foot. If i balance on my right foot the bike will roll backwards. I guess i just need lots of practice.
Coming to a stop you should be clicking down into first gear. At the stop leave the bike in gear, left foot down, right foot on rear brake. When the light changes, take off and ease off of the rear brake. Ideally you shouldn't sit at a light with the bike in neutral for safety reasons. If someone comes up your ass too fast to stop in time you can move forward. Keep your eyes peeled and head on a swivel. People in cars are freakin' crazy.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
If you do decide to lower the bike, it's best to shorten the kick stand as well. If the kick stand is too long, the bike will not lean over properly when on the stand, so it'll make it easier for a strong wind gust or clumsy jackass to knock it over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts