Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well got my bike back from the dealer. Initially it was at the dealer cause my stator went out. thankfully warranty took care of it. Of course they check everything else out. They said my clutch is dragging. Which means i need a new clutch. Any suggestions? Bike has 25k on it.

· Registered
538 Posts
I think its been previously mentioned before that the clutches on these things were on average lasting about 25-30k yes no?? depending on how hard its being ridden..

Have you experienced any issues with your clutch before hand?

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think its been previously mentioned before that the clutches on these things were on average lasting about 25-30k yes no?? depending on how hard its being ridden..

Have you experienced any issues with your clutch before hand?
are you having any issues with your clutch ?
Not really. I've notice it around 18k. Had to adjust the slack on the clutch cable. Its the only way my bike will not try to lunge forward at a stop. It was annoying.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
if your clutch isnt slipping under hard acceleration and it fully disengages when the lever is pulled in then you dont need a new clutch ..

if your cable is adjusted correctly and the bike still wants to roll forward when your stopped with the lever pulled in thats a good sign your steels are warped

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if your clutch isnt slipping under hard acceleration and it fully disengages when the lever is pulled in then you dont need a new clutch ..

if your cable is adjusted correctly and the bike still wants to roll forward when your stopped with the lever pulled in thats a good sign your steels are warped
You might be right. The dealer said just change the friction plates. I might as well change all the plates you know. should i change out the springs to?

· Powerhungry
39,282 Posts
You might be right. The dealer said just change the friction plates. I might as well change all the plates you know. should i change out the springs to?
verify the cable adjustment before doing anything.

but if you're going to do it, change it all.

· Registered
10,005 Posts
best way to find that out is to put it in 5th and roll on it, if its gonna slip it will do it then, now me personally i do not change ALL of the plates in a clutch repair, i replace only the plates & steels that are worn or warped, that is an old Ryan Schnitz trick and that guy puts far more strain on a clutch than ANY of us would, but to each their own on how they do it

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if youre not having any problems i wouldnt change any thing but yeah if it doesnt fully disengage then i would change the fibers the steels and the springs
Well i don't know exactly. The dealer just told me its dragging. The only symptom is that every now and then. i have to adjust the slack on the cable clutch so my bike doesn't launch forward at a light. That being said, sometimes hard to put in neutral. But i know for a fact that eventually there will be no more adjustment. Should I go stock or aftermarket? any advise?

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Well i don't know exactly. The dealer just told me its dragging. The only symptom is that every now and then. i have to adjust the slack on the cable clutch so my bike doesn't launch forward at a light. That being said, sometimes hard to put in neutral. But i know for a fact that eventually there will be no more adjustment. Should I go stock or aftermarket? any advise?
adjusting the cable is normal the cable stretches , when your ready to replace the clutch i always go oem .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.