Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2008 concourse 14, 13,000 miles, heated seat, heated grips, cruise, power comander, and two borthers slip on- all sounds good for $7999.00.

The issue is the privious owner dropped it and not there is a scratch onthe left side bag and lower faring.

I have a fz1 now so is it worth the it or not. I will be trading in the fz1 if things go right.

queston is: is the concourse worth it, what is the normal life of one, what are thngs to watch out for.

oh ya, i did test ride it and it rode nice, the dealer did all the service.

any info or thoughts from anyone would be helpful. I just dont want to go from my Fz that i know what its gone through, 25k miles on it and never ever given me a issue plus it is fun and always leaves a smile.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Life? These things routinely go over 100,000 miles (C14's haven't been out long enough to be logging in over 200K but they are capable of it I'm sure.)

As far as whether or not to do it, it just depends on your mission. The Concours will handle twisties at least as well as your FZ1. It is heavier though, and more intimidating in slow speed handling. The FZ1 is a better town bike. The Concours is a better sport and touring bike.

As far as issues, no significant ones, they are pretty rock solid. Routine maintenance items like oil changes and final drive oil changes are easy - no fairings need to come off. Other items like air filters, spark plugs and valve adjustments, are a royal pain in the ass. Overall maintenance is like any other fairinged bike.

I'd say go for it, especially if it's fitted with a nice cruise control (factory models don't have one.) Some people have complained about heat issues with 2009 and earlier bikes due to the fairing design and others don't have a problem with it.

·
08 Black ZX10R
1,113 Posts
What is your source for saying a 14 is a better handling or more agile bike than an FZ1? I would think the FZ1 would be nimbler because other than the bars thebike itself is closer to a SS. The 14 I would think is more stable but less agile.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What is your source for saying a 14 is a better handling or more agile bike than an FZ1? I would think the FZ1 would be nimbler because other than the bars thebike itself is closer to a SS. The 14 I would think is more stable but less agile.
I've ridden both, and own a C14. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the FZ1, it's a fine bike, but it does have a more upright seating position than a C14. I think the FZ1 has superior slow speed handling simply because it's lighter (no other reason) but the weight of the C14 disappears once it gets moving. You're right it is more stable, but it's no less agile in the twisties.

Both bikes are close to SS's, and both run the same rim/tire combinations. The FZ1 is a detuned R1 with a more stable suspension (different geometry than an R1) and no real fairings, and a C14 is a detuned ZX14, with a very similar suspension geometry and a more upright riding position. I can position my body properly in a high lean easy on a C14, but not very easily on an FZ1 due to the bar position.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Valve adjustment service is due at 14,000. So if the "dealership" did all the services just according to the schedule they probably haven't done that. It is a royal pain in the ass with its monocock (yes I deliberately spelled it that way) frame making everything more cramped to get to and adjust, the throttle body ync will require an extrememly short 90* angled ratchet type adjuster (kawi tool over $230, aftermarket about $75)

Does the owner have reciepts for the work to show stuff was actually done and when...call me a skeptic but I would require some proof

·
Registered
10 Posts
At $8,000 it's not a bargain. Especially with damage from a lay down. Heated seat and grips are nice if you use them but nothing you can't add later or find another bike with that on it already. The cruise is a great thing if you use it. I came from 26 years on Honda Gold Wings and I thought I would miss the cruise but there are other options out there for that also.
The valve adjustment is at 15000 miles not 14000 miles and it can run anywhere from $400 + parts on up. If your set on that bike have the dealer include the 15000 miles service in the deal. Check e-bay, cycletrader.om and The Kawasaki Concours Forum - Index for bikes for sale. Plenty of great bikes at good prices now because of economy and winter.
I came from 26 years of riding 900 LB Gold Wings, this bike is light and very easy to handle both at highway speeds and just putting around town,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts