Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 weeks ago i was at the track. I approached a corner and my bike shut down. Came to find out my battery died. I got it running for one more ride after the track and all seemed well. We pulled into a gas station to get some gas and my friend told me my headlight were out. I then proceeded home and checked it out. i went to start my bike and nothing happened. Dead battery again. I swapped it out with a used battery my friend had from his old R6 and my bike fired right up no problem. But my headlights still did not work. I rode a few more times and then i checked my fuse. It was bad. I swapped it out and my lights worked again. Today i went riding with no apparent problems on the way out but on the way back i stopped to check out my friends tire pressure and when i got back on the bike to start it up, nothing. I got it home and my head lights worked intermittantly (fuse is good) while the bike was running but it seems like something is happening that is excessively draining my battery. Has anyone run into this problem? Any advise is appreciated. Sorry about my novel i just wanted to cover everything.....

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I had something similar to that happen to me on my '95 ZX-6R. It turned out thet the regulator/rectifier had died, which then resulted in the alternator being fried, so that the battery really wasn't charging very well, and would run flat after a few days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That definitely sounds like a bad alternator. I've replaced them on cars... but I'm not sure how hard it would be on a bike.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Alternator (Stator) or Voltage Regulator are the likely culprits. But check all your wiring to make sure they are good.. Do a search to find some tips on checking your electrical system for problems... Probably would be a good idea to invest in a service manual...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Get yourself a mulitmeter (Radio Shack carries a couple for under $20), then go here and download the diagram:

http://www.electrosport.com/electrosport_fault_finding.html

As stated by the web site, 90% of problems result from poor connections. If you want to prevent future issues, get a tube of dielectric grease from your dealership and use it whenever you unplug and replug in an electrical component (including the battery).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.