Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have a 2007 zx6r with the same problems as almost anyone 07 owner (thiking and head gasket oil) but I'm looking for some extra ponies since I'm racing a little bit here in Mexico and sure, remove that thiking noise but I have some doubts,

My doubts are:
1.- If I install a race cams, do I need to remplace the valves springs, shims or anything else??

2.-There is a improvement if I change the head gasket for one thiner one?? if so, which one is the better (.50, etc)??? (I use the bike on the road for some short trips)

3.-If I put the race cams from the kit, the noise from the cams will leave??

4.- what about the velocity stacks?? are those a good upgrade for street and track??

I hope any of you can help me..

Thanks

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hi there, I have a 2007 zx6r with the same problems as almost anyone 07 owner (thiking and head gasket oil) but I'm looking for some extra ponies since I'm racing a little bit here in Mexico and sure, remove that thiking noise but I have some doubts,

My doubts are:
1.- If I install a race cams, do I need to remplace the valves springs, shims or anything else??

2.-There is a improvement if I change the head gasket for one thiner one?? if so, which one is the better (.50, etc)??? (I use the bike on the road for some short trips)

3.-If I put the race cams from the kit, the noise from the cams will leave??

4.- what about the velocity stacks?? are those a good upgrade for street and track??

I hope any of you can help me..

Thanks
The cams require you to use the same springs, but you may need to adjust the valves, and i would install the manual cam chain tensinor.

The thickness of headgasket is chossen when clearences are check on the valves.

Not all of it kawis have always had loud engine heads.

I would leave them stock and have your tunner tell you which way to go.

I have the 1 up from the smallest head gasket, kit cams, kit ecu, kit cam chain tenioner, full akra, kleen mod, sold dowels installed, air intake cleaned up, bmc race filter, and i run brisk electrodless plugs. Just a little info for ya. THe 07 came stock with 13.9 to 1 compression while the 08 came with 13.3 to 1 compression ratio.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the info evil, and what about the velocity stacks?? have you tried them??
How much power could I get with a thiner gasket?? like 1 up from the thiner??

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I opted against velocity stacks. They mainly make power way high inthe rpm range and not much. I remove my air resonators in the intake tube and tapped over the 2 large cooling holes In the frame which rob air flowing into the airbox. I put down 124 to 136 depending on the dyno on pump gas. My kit ecu was tunned by saftey first/ 4&6 racing who ran the 07 6r in the AMA in07. Lucked out they were cool as hell and were more then willing to do my cams and head gasket on my 07, and helped me get a salvaged titled 08 ready for track days after I picked it up at auction.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
wtf did he say? lol

hey nereo.. evil is right..

whats your bikes main purpose? this will decide how extreme (as will finances) to build your motor.

as an engine builder, i'll answer these questions too to the best of my ability over the interwebz..lol

1- no, keep the stock springs, but measure tappet clearance. you might have a different base circle number and will need to re-shim. you CAN run altered springs if you wish, but thats up to you and what you want to spend.

2- there is an improvement in usable horsepower due to a raised compression, BUT, you'll need to adjust fueling very slightly and if you don't run a good grade of gas, you'll most certainly have to as a anti-detonation measurement. (that is what te true meaning behind the R+M octane rating is)

3- noise on this motor is typically chain slap. run a manual CCT.

4- V stacks are gaurunteed power.. tho they may not me ably to offset the saltiness.. you CAN see 3-7HP on a good tune.

sidenotes- cam timing will GREATLY affect performance.. a race cam kit and a degreeing will blow your mind. if the cams don't have adjustable gears, buy a set, or, if you can machine, mill or make a set. stock cams are very aggressive and when degreed can make alot of power. mild port work and oversized valves (1MM) will also make stupid power. ppl tend to expand the exhaust valve by 1MM, typically. you can retain the stock seat, or go with a different material, but then you're really talking money if you go with like a Be-Cu seat and a multi-angle grind. you can always call kibble white machining or Ferrea or SI valves for upgraded components like Ti retainers, custom buckets and springs and so on..

need anything else, post up!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks whitehendrix, your response were very clear as evil response was, I think I´m going to keep the stock cams and change the CCT since I dont like the sound that the cams produces, I found in a engine that a friend of me burned some wear on the cams, it looks like the cams are touching the ¨valve-spring cover¨(I dont know the name of the part in english) begore the ¨hill¨ begins, I will post a picture in short just to show all of you how it is and if it is wrong or normal use..

·
Registered
22 Posts
are the race cams adjustable, or set up one way. and i would just ask for a shims form kawi stock ones they dont make any race ?? sorry for the jack

·
Registered
147 Posts
you can get adjustable cam sprockets, but after some tinkering with desktop dyno there isn't enough adjustment to make a real difference...unless you wanna run some boost, which you don't.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Maybe someone could post a nice How-To about degreing cams, or at least post a link to one. I know Ive tried finding one, but to no avail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts