Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a month ago or so my father took my bike out for a ride [i store it at his house] and he ended up high siding it about 1/4 mile away. so after getting it checked out it needs all new fairings and rearsets and a few other cosmetic things. of course his insurance comp is covering it be it by a check to fix it or to total it.

here is my issue. the wanna total it and give me a check for 8500. i still owe 6500 so id come out with 2k extra [which is what i put down when i bought it] or i can take a check for 6150 to repair it.

i can prob repair everything for like 4500 or so and thats using all aftermarket things and adding things like CF and huggers and dampers etc. now that its close to the end of aug. and this wont be solved till atleast next week depending on what i wanna do, and the fact ill be gone on a business trip most of Sept and Oct and unable to ride. im torn between fixing it and hooking it up and letting it sit till next spring, or takin the money paying it off and have that show on my credit [while banking the other 2k] and then buy a new bike in say jan or feb of 07, or take the 6150 pay off that much of the loan then sell the bike as is, just in need of plastic and rearset and hopefully sell it for like 3500- 4000 [which seems resonable since its an 06 with 1000miles onit]

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I'd take the money, pay off as much as you can and sell the bike as is for as much as you can get. Does your credit good, puts money in the bank for the next bike and you dont have the headache of fixing the current bike. Buy a new bike next season or in the off-season when they are cheaper (are they cheaper then back east?). I think regardless of which way you go you are coming out ahead.

·
Registered
380 Posts
After you make your decision, find another place to store your bike. That's what I would do... Was your dad hurt at all?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
take the 8500. When a bike goes down that hard there's a lot of shock on the frame and steering head where things can be tweaked or internally fucked up that could make it run/handle like shit. Take the $$$$$. just my .02.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was your dad hurt at all?

well the idiot wasnt wearing a helmet for one. but luckly he walked away with some major road rash and a few stitches. oh and the guilt that he ruined my brand new hardly broken in bike

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would take the insurance and fix up the bike. I say that with a caveat: if you plan on racing or if you are always redline, safety is first, get rid of the crashed bike. Otherwise, have it checked out, and make that bike yours. Get some custom paint, rearsets, exhaust, hugger... what ever. These bikes are pretty tough, and the way I ride mine I would not be worried too much about hidden damage.

The reason I say this is I experienced sportbikes the cheap way: Find somebody that crashes their bike with very few miles on it, buy the wreck and rebuild. I always bought Kawi and never had any problems. Fact is, some of my best memories include a bike in parts in the dead of winter, watching foolball and sanding :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you can get the $8500 you are seeking take it and run but if you have to haggle just to almost break even then fix it better than stock. Either way, lock that baby down!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.