Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
F'ing Catilina Wine Mixer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys. It's been a while since I posted up in here. I bought a 2008 Honda Civic Si and a lot of my time and money has been devoted to that. But I am getting the riding bug again and I am putting more effort back into my 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R. The first order of business is making it legal as far as the new Florida Laws go. The Fender Eliminator Kit is "illegal" and I need to put it back under the exhaust towards the end of the bike so I am not slapped with an easy $1,000 fine. My question is what is the best kit to put this back on? I want an aftermarket kit and not a stock kit. I was planning on buying a full exhaust system and I was hoping to use its Fender Kit so I can do both in one shot. Can anyone recommend me one? I know if I got the Two Brothers exhaust their Kit doesn't light up the license plate and etc.... Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

- Power Commander PCIII
- Acumen Digital Gear Indicator
- SpeedoHealer
- Backlight Change Red
- Yoshimura RS-5 Slip On Powder Coated Black
- Race Railz
- Carbon Fiber Mirrors
- -1 +2 Sprocket and RK Racing Chain
- GPR Steering Damper
- Michelin Pilot Powers
- Scorpio Alarm
- Fender Eliminator Kit
- Kawiforums RearSet Raiser Kit
- Stomp Grip Pads
- Puig WindScreen
- K&N Air Filter
- Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines and Pads
- Clear Alternatives Rear Brake Light

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, so none of the aftermarket exhaust kits come with lighted license plate holders. I never knew that.....I wonder if I can use my Fender Eliminator Kit Light and chop it off and somehow fabricate it to put on my new Exhaust Fender.... Thanks for the links bro!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Skye; what are the new FL motorcycle laws? I moved out of FL back in June, but when I left it was till legal to ride around with no helmet and no insurance (well they look down on the insurance thing).

·
Registered
9 Posts
i just put some led's in the bolts that held the plate. let me see if i have a pic.

it doesn't illuminate it very much but you wont get pulled over for it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i just put some led's in the bolts that held the plate. let me see if i have a pic.

it doesn't illuminate it very much but you wont get pulled over for it.
+1

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Skye; what are the new FL motorcycle laws? I moved out of FL back in June, but when I left it was till legal to ride around with no helmet and no insurance (well they look down on the insurance thing).
ADVISORY BULLETIN
Florida Association of Court Clerks/Comptrollers

REF: HB 137 (ch. 2008-117, Laws of Florida) DATE: August 20, 2008 NO: 08-058

FILE NO. F02-008-080820-01 TELEPHONE: (850) 921-0808 CONTACT: B. Allman

Effective October 1, 2008, HB 137 revises the traffic laws to create a few more penalties. This short bill was particularly focused on unsafe motorcycle activities, but it does include a provision for excessive speed. The new law also provides penalties for the first, second, third or subsequent violations. The Distribution Chart found on the FACC website will be updated to reflect the amounts for the first and second offenses in the Traffic section. The third and subsequent offense is classified as a third degree felony with a $5,000 fine and will appear in the Criminal Traffic section of the chart.

New Violations:
316.2085(2) Motorcycle or moped, wheels losing contact with ground
This is classified as a moving violation.
First Offense: the violator must pay $1,000 plus any other costs assessed for a moving violation. Second Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $2,500, plus any other applicable costs assessed for a moving violation. The person’s driver license must be revoked for a period of one year.
Third Offense: the violator will be charged with a third degree felony, punishable as provided in ss. 775.082, 775.083, and 775.084, a mandatory fine of $5,000, and the driver license must be revoked for a period of ten years.

316.2085(3) Motorcycle or moped license tag improperly affixed
First Offense: the violator must pay $1,000 plus any other costs assessed for a moving violation. Second Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $2,500, plus any other applicable costs assessed for a moving violation. The person’s driver license must be revoked for a period of one year.
Third Offense: the violator will be charged with a third degree felony, punishable as provided in ss. 775.082, 775.083, and 775.084, a mandatory fine of $5,000, and the driver license must be revoked for a period of ten years.

316.1926 (2) A person who exceeds the speed limit in excess of 50 mph or more in violation of ss.
316.183(2) (posted speeds), 316.187(state speed zones), or 316.189 (municipal and county speeds)
First Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $1,000 plus court costs.
Second Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $2,500 plus court costs and the driver license must be revoked for a period of one year.

·
Registered
283 Posts
wow ...those laws are crazy

after a few months of those in effect they are going to hafta make more strict laws about running from the cops too haha

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
wow ...those laws are crazy

after a few months of those in effect they are going to hafta make more strict laws about running from the cops too haha
DID THOSE REALLY GET PASSED--------------I mean do three stoppies and it makes gives you a CLASS-3 Felony charge - which means you lose the right to vote, so you can't change the law.

I would gather up some pettitons on this with the quickness. Judging by how that is written - If you were doing a panick stop, because someone pulled out in front of you and the rear wheel came off the ground you get fined. You hit a large bump or drive off a curb and one-wheel loses contact or you jump the bike (Rail Road track crossings are like ramps at speed) and you get fined......................

I believe that is extreme prjeduice there directed at Bikers.

As for the lighted license plate--------your best bet would be to use an aftermarket( or create your own) plate holder that holds the license plate under the rear most part of your exhaust and grab a white led-license plate kit and mount it on the plate. ( Something like this [quick google search: led license plate light] http://www.autobarn.net/20-735.html?site=google_base)

That will put it in the correct location and have it lit. BUT neither of those parts may be DOT approved and if a cop wants he could still get you. THE only DOT approved license plate mount is the stock OEM setup. All aftermarket kits say not for road use for SHOW/OFF-ROAD use only. Because no one submits their products to have to quilify for DOT certification -would increase price of products even further.)

BEST OF LUCK and strongly suggest you gather people/riders together to get those laws amended. SHIT a $1000 dollar fine on a mo-ped that cost $450 you gotta be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Wow...that new wheelie / stoppie law is rediculous. I know the old law stated something like "...all motorcycles must keep all wheels in contact with the ground at all times, unless there is a cirumstance beyond their control"

Hopefully they keep that clause in there for emergency stopping..uh...stoppies.

Also the language is very vauge on what they could consider improperly affixed to the bike. Hopefully it's more of a not vertically attached to the swingarm like I see every now and then. Rather than no fender eliminators allowed.

Either way FL is so ssa sdrawkcab anyway that it always confused me.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Found this article through various FL state websites.

**Warning PDF** http://www.floridaabate.com/Library/Library/hb137sb802finaladj.pdf

Turns out it IS like I thought; they just wanted it mounted horizontally. I would still be cautious though because I'm sure they'd have no problem saying "Give us $1000 for your plate please" either.

And the clause is...or could be was still in there about the road surface or other conditions out of the riders control.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Yes they did, gayest laws ever. You see a lot more people running from the cops now.
Yeah I looked them up and they went into effect 0ct. 1st. I still think you guy should get those appealed. I can understand them not wanting the speeding or wheelies/stoppies. But to make the 1st offense cost over a grand, and more than double till the third which then labels you as a convicted Felon. Not to mention the 2nd offense is a mandatory 1-year revoke on your license and the 3rd is a mandatory 10-year reovoke on your license. Drunk driving is no-where near as harsh.............. And here I was thinking Cars could do more damage than bikes, Florida has proved me wrong. Apparently the Busa doing a stoppie at a light is more dangerous than the Drunk driver in his lifted 2500 dualie truck running the stop sign...................................law makers...............................

It's like the seatbelt law in Arizona when we have no helmet law. Your telling me your more likely to get hurt in a car with no seatbelt during a collison then on a motorcycle with no helmet in the same type of collison....GO SOMEWHERE........

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
just cut and splice the wire that ran to the original light and wire in a new one and mount it to the plate easy fix but yeah those laws blow when i read about them i couldn't believe it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts