Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tonight my buddies and I decided to take a cruise through Turnbull canyon. Some of you from Southern California may be familiar with the canyon and know how dirty and dangerous it is especially at night with all of the cars racing. I originally thought it would be a tiny little canyon with a few twists and turns but it turned out to be pretty tight. As we were heading downhill to go home I took a turn way too fast and hit a patch of gravel; my bike instantly fell on it's side and I slid into the guardrail and hit my back and head against it lightly. Had I been going any faster and that guard rail had not been there I'd be dead, lying on a bed of rocks right now. This is the second time I've gone down in a canyon but this one was a lot worse (first time was up in GMR). Long story short - no more canyons for me. I'm sticking with the track from now on.

Oh, I was riding a KLX 250.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Glad your ok. That is really shitty. Sometimes a guy just needs to slow down a bit and use your head. I was riding into work tonight and the road coming into town is a nice big sweeping right turn that I have taken at 120 before. Tonight I was passing a vehicle and was in the left lane and there was a heave in the road and my front tire came off the ground at 85. That is enough to get a guy to think, yeah maybe I should slow er down just a tad.

Anyways, glad to hear your alright. How's your bike if you don't mind my askin??

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad your ok. That is really shitty. Sometimes a guy just needs to slow down a bit and use your head. I was riding into work tonight and the road coming into town is a nice big sweeping right turn that I have taken at 120 before. Tonight I was passing a vehicle and was in the left lane and there was a heave in the road and my front tire came off the ground at 85. That is enough to get a guy to think, yeah maybe I should slow er down just a tad.

Anyways, glad to hear your alright. How's your bike if you don't mind my askin??
It's actually still in good shape. The bars are bent but not noticeable to the untrained eye, and the left hand-guard is a little scratched up and saved the lever and controls. I guess my left leg took most of the damage for the bike. :buzzsaw:

·
Registered
535 Posts
It's actually still in good shape. The bars are bent but not noticeable to the untrained eye, and the left hand-guard is a little scratched up and saved the lever and controls. I guess my left leg took most of the damage for the bike. :buzzsaw:

well thats a good thing, did that 250 have dirt tires or street tires??

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Glad you (and the bike) came out of it okay. There seem to be way too many stories about washing out on gravel here the last few months. Maybe I'm just noticing it more because it happened to me in June. When you read the crash statistics, they're usually all about cars turning in front of riders and other traffic situations, but I'm convinced more bikes go down from gravel than for any other reason and probably result in the most injuries. Perhaps the statistics concentrate on fatalities too much and not accidents that don't result in long hospital stays or totalled bikes. :(

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
Glad you're alright dude.

The Rockers would have been depressed without you

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Good to hear you are alright. That is why I am hesitant to going up to the canyons.

I had a close call yesterday on the street while making a right turn. A car almost rear ended me, and the sad thing is that it was my fault for only looking in my mirror and not turning my head to switch lanes after making the turn. I made a dumb noob mistake.

The car swerved around me and missed me. You just never know where you might end up going down.

·
Registered
372 Posts
i feel for ya bro, thanks goodness it wasnt any worse. puts some band aids on you and your bike and good to go. Is turnbull canyon the one just north of la habra and ends somewhere in whittier??? If it is ive been there a feel times, but some people call it turnbull and some turbo canyon or maybe there two different canyons.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i feel for ya bro, thanks goodness it wasnt any worse. puts some band aids on you and your bike and good to go. Is turnbull canyon the one just north of la habra and ends somewhere in whittier??? If it is ive been there a feel times, but some people call it turnbull and some turbo canyon or maybe there two different canyons.
that's it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
canyons aren't so bad if

1. it hasn't been raining recently
2. it isn't at night
3. it's a fairly warm day, so even the shady patches of road aren't too cold.

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
Your avatar saved you BP88

1 - 20 of 20 Posts