Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2000 zx6r it's lowered about 2 inches down 1 tooth in the front as of about 20 mins ago. I have a real hard time getting it up. in first i can power em up once in a while, and i can clutch them once in a while in second. most of the time it feels like the rear tire is slipping and i just gain a ton of speed. but the bike doesn't come up. what is the proper technique in 2nd hard on the throttle then clutch or clutch at the same time as throttle?

·
Registered
4 Posts
first of all....your bike is lowered....that makes it alot harder to wheelie....if you raise it back to stock height, you should be able to do them no prob at all...the whole center of gravity has changed...the bike will be MUCH harder to wheelie!! hope that helps!

·
Registered
81 Posts
umm if youve got the bike lowered u dont really wanna wheelie.. it makes it harder and your suspension is funny.. i never liked doin wheelies while my bikes lowered more than an inch.. your most likely breaking traction is why its not coming up.. having it lowered gives u a better launch ie keeps the front tire in the ground much better under hard acceleration.. if u wanna drag keep it lowered... if u wanna wheelie put it back to stock... if u wanna do both get the adjustable ones they only take a min to adjust =) i love em

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm yeah that's kinda what i figured. I'm just so frigging short it's nice to be able to put my feet flat on the ground.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright i have adjustables in the back. so I raised it up all the way in the back, i'm back on my toes. It sucks thought cause i shortened the kick stand so now the bike is leaning way over and it's real hard to spin it around on the stand. It still feels like it's losing traction in the rear. I clutched it up on the second try in 2nd about a foot off the ground. I got it to come up a few more times nothing crazy. I think i need to hold the clutch a little longer. It is definately easier though with it lifted. the front is still down about an inch and a half. Is it easier to wheelie on a cold wheel or hot wheel? I think i'm gonna try to bounce it up in 2nd. I haven't tried that yet. What's the proper technique again?

·
Registered
337 Posts
The warmer your tire gets, the more traction it has. Ever notice all the gravel stuck to your tire after you do a burnout?

Also, I'm just guessing, but it seems to me that it'd be easier to wheelie with the front stock and the back lowered than vice/versa (like you have it now). It's like your bike is riding downhill all the time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i thought that too. But i had it that way for a while and it wouldn't come up at all like that. The back would just squat more.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Having the front down will make it a little harder to wheelie. Try this; in second gear going about 40mph go WOT, pull clutch in and release, guarantee you front will come up fast. Don't pull clutch in all the way. What works best is using only your index finger on clutch lever. Just drag that finger across the lever and pull it half in and release. Don't drag the clutch out snap it. And definitely heat the tire up first. If your tire is still breaking loose you must be sitting on the windscreen or something. Also when I clutch in second I put my butt right up against the back seat to make it easier plus you have more weight over the rear tire. Always remember to keep the back brake covered. That is your lifesaver button. If you have to tie a ribbon around it to remind you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah that's what i've been doing. it comes up inconsistantly though. Each time it comes up about a foot. But i think i'm letting go of the throttle i'm not really tring to ride them out yet. I'm still just tring to get the front to come up on a consistant basis. Also i'm kinda short and so are my arms. I find that when I scoot back on the seat my arms a completely extended and locked, i find this uncomfortable and have never been able to get the bike to come up like that. I've been told to keep my arms loose but in that posistion it's impossible. maybe that's why it won't come up like that (cause my arms are locked)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah that's what i've been doing. it comes up inconsistantly though. Each time it comes up about a foot. But i think i'm letting go of the throttle i'm not really tring to ride them out yet. I'm still just tring to get the front to come up on a consistant basis. Also i'm kinda short and so are my arms. I find that when I scoot back on the seat my arms a completely extended and locked, i find this uncomfortable and have never been able to get the bike to come up like that. I've been told to keep my arms loose but in that posistion it's impossible. maybe that's why it won't come up like that (cause my arms are locked)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You don't have to sit that far back. I was just saying it is easier for the bike like that. It takes less power. You can do high chairs in second if you want to. Another thing I failed to mention earlier is not to do any jerking or jumping. Also, at 40mph you are in that bog area in the powerband so when you go wide open throttle the bike doesn't just take off flying. This makes it easier to snap the clutch in and back out. What you want to do is only let your rpms jump up to about 8 or 9000. That is a plenty. The farther back you are sitting the less you will need. How long have you been riding? Alot of your problems may have something to do with nerves. Here is a way for you to practice clutching. Practice in third gear, you have to get the revs really high to get it to come up. The object here is not to do a wheelie, just practice your technique. Practice that for a while then go back down to second. The one thing that will help you the most is getting more use to your powerband. Learn how to use it to your advantage. And, of course, PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE. Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ru567, talk to me bout this if you are at tonight's ride. I will show you how I do them, I know the bikes are different, but I am shorter than you, and I can pull it. I do first and second gear throttle chop and pops. you know, cut the throttle and roll back to WOT immediately. jumps right up and then throttle modulation keeps it there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i've been riding for a little over a year now. i'm not really nervous at all. i was the first couple times i did it but now i'm fine. i'm gonna go and practice one of these days once it gets nice again. it's gonna rain all weekend so we'll see. I was talking to aaron from geared up and he was telling me how they practice in the rain. He said if you can get your bike to come up in the rain you can get it to come up anywhere. I told him i wasn't really ready for rain practices yet though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.