Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reinstalling my headers. And after Starting the bike, i noticed there was a leak at the #1cylinder. So I begain to tigthen it down and before I realized it I had bent the flange and the bolt. So now I need to fix the bolt. I am sure it is a two sided bolts but how diffucilt is it to replace. Can it be remove from the outside of the engine?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does it still leak? If not, then you really don't need to do anything. When I put aftermarket headers on an old bike in 91, I tightened up bolts and 2 of the flanges bent. I didn't have torque wrench at that time. they were on the bike for 14 years that way! If you do need to get the bolts out, you could try running two nuts on the stud and then turning the inside one-if there are enough threads to do this. It will tighten against the outside one and then put torque on the stud. Other options-have nut welded onto stud. Grab stud with vice grips. File stud flat on opposite sides and then put wrench on it. It will either come out or break. If it breaks, then need to drill it out and helicoil it. Make sure to put never seize on it when putting it back in.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
It's not a bolt; it's a stud (installed fromthe exterior of the head). If it's not bent badly, you may be able to straighten it CAREFULLY (or better yet, leave it alone). If it breaks off you're screwed (bolt extractors are not fun).

If you do have to remove it, put liquid wrench on it the day before you try to remove it. put two nuts on it, tightened against each other (so one acts as a jam nut). Then try to remove it. If it doesn't budge, heat it with a torch (careful not to burn anything else). Be sure to install the new one with thread lock and torque it correctly.

If any of this sounds confusing, don't mess with it; get someone who knows what they're doing (a professional tech, NOT some guy down the street with a pair of vice grips).

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Torque spec is "around" 15 foot pounds . Check your manual for exact torque . Just a 10mm wrench and a couple fingers is all you usually need . Make sure your gasket is in correctly .

tberd

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used new gaskets, but maybe it wasn't tight enough (some of my tools got stolen when my car was broken into torque wrench was one of them). But the bolts loosened up as the motor was running. But i

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.