Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in the mess I have created in this build, I believe I have misplaced or even lost the only key I have to the bike. I am pretty bummed right now. I know I had it a few days ago along with the bracket for the rear brake res. Now I cannot find either of them. Searched hi and low. So far, nothing. Somehow I have a sinking feeling that they may have been thrown out and are long gone.

This is a track bike and not on Non Op registration. I have no intentions of riding it on the street. Should I just go key-less? I would have to buy a whole new ignition wouldn't I if I wanted to use a key again?

Anyone have a write up on how to go key-less?

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Take the switch off and bring it to a locksmith. They can make a new key.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
That's correct. I had to do it when I built my ZX14.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
After you pull it apart you will find that under the drum is a rotating switch. You could just use that or you could install your own cool little switch I guess.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Called up where I bought the bike from back in 07. They have the key code on file. I just have to fax them my copy of the title and drivers license and they are going to release it to me. I am in NY and they are in San Diego. Pretty sweet score! I think I will buy a few copies this time around.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are no chips in these keys my man. It is just a code they look up in a data base for the pattern to cut.

In a massive twist, I found my key in the wood shop at work! Score.

Also, I called the parts department for a crush washer and the girl told me that she F'd up and didn't actually order my key! Double Score!!!! Got me out of paying 55 bucks for a new one from Kawi!

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you can get to the actual lock pins (not sure if you can or not), just dump them out and buy a blank, then it will fit and turn as expected.
---> You can even get it cut, or file it to look real for added security.

Then anything that fits will turn the bike on, but any onlookers will be none the wiser.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's true...they aren't chipped keys but be careful to anybody who ever has to try and pull the ignition because there is a resistor inside the ignition that if popped it won't start. Theft deterrent so if somebody trys to hammer through your ignition like they do on other bikes, the bike will just crank and not turn over.

Happened to me when someone tried to steal my 05.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts