Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone!

My name is Naj, i'm new here. I'm from Suffolk County, NY.

I've never been into bikes much, just mainly cars.. I've always stayed away from bikes as i've known a lot of people who have gotten hurt, and a few even killed..

But since these gas prices are how they are.. and i'm getting tired of driving my car all the time.. I've finally somehow gotten interested in bikes, I think it was since the first time I saw an 08 250R..

Since i'm a beginner and someone who's power hungry (got a heavy foot? hah), i think its best that I start off with somethin like a 250cc (not that i'd take it for granted heh), but its light and looks comfortable, so I think it would be perfect for me :)

Anyways..

I'm almost 24 years old, and I want a 250R really bad.. I'm trying to save up and get one in the next few months.. however not sure how the family is gonna handle that lol..

Again, i've never ridden before.. and I plan on registering for an MSF course near me, and am looking to take the permit test soon.

I had a few questions for you guys tho..

1. Since i've never ridden, or had any experience whatsoever with a bike (meaning i dont know how to work on or maintain one yet), would I be better off buying one from the dealership? as opposed to buying one local for like a grand cheaper almost.

2. What do you guys pay for insurance? im in NY.

3. Whats some good riding gear to get? as in what brand? or specific item thats worked well for most people.

4. Hey guys, thanks again for the responses!

Got another question for y'all..

Where's a good place to buy some quality riding gear? I'd like to get something that's definately gonna keep me safe, but not break the bank.. i'm not looking to sacrifice safety for a few bucks, but I don't want to shop from the most expensive places either heh..

I think that's all for now, if I have any more questions, i'll be sure to ask :)

Thanks in advance!

and just because you guys read all this crap, here's some pics of my Evo that I've spent a lot of blood, sweat, and money on.. I hope you guys will hopefully like it :)

447whp / 410lb-ft tq

·
Registered
3 Posts
Buy it, ride safe, and you wont regret it! The 08 250 is my first bike and i have no regrets. What makes bikes better than cars (other than mpg) is that there easier to work on imo.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nice car.

Go over the the New Rider forum. You'll find lots of answers there. oh and SEARCH! Believe it or not, you're not the first person to come on here and ask those questions.

·
Registered
333 Posts
that evo is bad ass. I prefer without wing. You are lucky to own that at 24!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just so you know, the 250r will be a lot slower than your car lol. You should look at ninja 500r's too. Might not look as cool, but they are a lot faster.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i just bought a 250r with 125 mi from a girl in babylon i found it on eBay. check craigslist .....i don't think the dealers have any right now....if your serious about this start working on it asap.....i used traumas auto school for my msf course.they are located in queens but they have a riding range in farmingdale...i would call asap to try and get on the list....also tell the robot on the phone to call you first if anyone cancels their course. i bought my riding gear from formula 1 in oakdale they are on sunrise highway. I bought a leather jacket, alpinestars gloves and the hjc fs-10 helmet. i asked the guy if i could get a pacage deal and he gave me 10% off ...lol im paying $145 for liability insurance in nassau.... i hope this helps

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a few questions for you guys tho..

1. Since i've never ridden, or had any experience whatsoever with a bike (meaning i dont know how to work on or maintain one yet), would I be better off buying one from the dealership? as opposed to buying one local for like a grand cheaper almost.
The maintenance is easy as cake if you do cars. Some things you'd want a dealership or a service manaul for. Since money is an issue why not buy local and change your own oil for cheap.
2. What do you guys pay for insurance? im in NY.
I pay 40$ a month. I'm not in NY
3. Whats some good riding gear to get? as in what brand? or specific item thats worked well for most people.
Depends when and where your riding. Leathers or rain gear for...rain. Textiles or leathers for sun. I've heard positive things about perforated leathers as well. Brands you'll have to research your self. There are tons out there. REmember you get what you pay for (top brands), unless it's on sale :D.

Oh and kick ass car !!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
i just bought a 250r with 125 mi from a girl in babylon i found it on eBay. check craigslist .....i don't think the dealers have any right now....if your serious about this start working on it asap.....i used traumas auto school for my msf course.they are located in queens but they have a riding range in farmingdale...i would call asap to try and get on the list....also tell the robot on the phone to call you first if anyone cancels their course. i bought my riding gear from formula 1 in oakdale they are on sunrise highway. I bought a leather jacket, alpinestars gloves and the hjc fs-10 helmet. i asked the guy if i could get a pacage deal and he gave me 10% off ...lol im paying $145 for liability insurance in nassau.... i hope this helps
I bought from Long Island Kawasaki in hicksville and had a good experience... itzstress is right, you probably won't find any there. Tramas uses the SUNY Farmingdale college for their riding course, I got license through them and it was fine.

I've never used any of the local shops for gear, the only one I knew about was D&D (Oceanside, I think). Newenough and Riders Discount are where I usually order from.

I pay $400 a year for insurance, full coverage. I'm 22.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought from Long Island Kawasaki in hicksville and had a good experience... itzstress is right, you probably won't find any there. Tramas uses the SUNY Farmingdale college for their riding course, I got license through them and it was fine.

I've never used any of the local shops for gear, the only one I knew about was D&D (Oceanside, I think). Newenough and Riders Discount are where I usually order from.

I pay $400 a year for insurance, full coverage. I'm 22.

Hmm... I'm actually a student at Suny Farmingdale, only Tramas does it at Farmingdale? ..meaning do I have to go to MSF (class time) in Queens?

I live East of Farmingdale, so I'm trying to find out if theres anything I can take, that's out east, or atleast will only go as far west as Farmingdale.

Oh and who do you use for your insurance company?

·
Registered
204 Posts
i believe traumas has a class room in massapequa..... you really need to call them up and talk to the robot..... i paid for my msf in queens and and found out someone canceled their reservation i was able to the course the next weekend at queen community college... they had a class room and driving range on the same campus.. i don't see why they couldn't do the same in farmingdale.. Long Island Kawasaki in hicksville is a cool place i bought my icon hooligan ux jacket from there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the info! appreciate it :)

btw are there any local 250R or kawasaki forums for us NY guys?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Itzstress is right, the office is in massapequa... I think its New York ave, near sunrise hwy and the train station. www.tramas.com

I know they use a few different spots, but the farmingdale one is where I went... Its where I live.

I use progressive for my bike insurance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts