Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a current 250r owner and would like to move up to a 600 soon. My only concern is seat height at the moment.

I am 3'8" and 160 lbs, and I can flat foot the 250 with my sneakers on. Will i have any problems on the zx6r? I need to do a lot of waddling around to get in and out of my garage and I don't think It will be to easy on my tip toes. The 6r is 3 inches higher then the 250

is there anybody else out there my height and rides this bike? how are you when you have to walk it or on a steep hill? pain in the ass? or just needs getting used to?

mikey

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I think you'll be fine after you get used to it. If you're flatfooting on the 250 (what's up with 3'8"??) it won;t be real bad to the 6r. I'm short and those are the same bike I've owned. You may have to just lean the bike to one side, and put one foot down at red lights etc, but you'll learn the tricks. And don't worry about moving the bike too much, it's easier to just stand beside it and move it rather than hop on and try to move it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
quote:
I am a current 250r owner and would like to move up to a 600 soon. My only concern is seat height at the moment.

I am 3'8" and 160 lbs, and I can flat foot the 250 with my sneakers on. Will i have any problems on the zx6r? I need to do a lot of waddling around to get in and out of my garage and I don't think It will be to easy on my tip toes. The 6r is 3 inches higher then the 250

is there anybody else out there my height and rides this bike? how are you when you have to walk it or on a steep hill? pain in the ass? or just needs getting used to?

mikey
The seat height is very close to 32" There are ways you can lower the bike but the best advice is to go to a dealer and have them hold the bike for you while you see how your reach will be.

In theroy if you can get one toe down you can hold the bike with its center of gravity but you don't have much room for error and sudden jerk will result in the bike falling on you.

As Grunt said there are tricks to it and you have to get used to it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heh..sorry, I Mean 5'8", not 3'8"...
Personally i hate walking the bike, I was always waddled my way around when putting it back into garage area.

If I do lower the bike, will it affect performance in any way? I realy want to get one, but i'm afraid i'm gonna start thinking riding will be laborious then it is fun. I don't want to put some much concentration into balancing a bike at idle.

·
Registered
778 Posts
quote:
heh..sorry, I Mean 5'8", not 3'8"...
Personally i hate walking the bike, I was always waddled my way around when putting it back into garage area.

If I do lower the bike, will it affect performance in any way? I realy want to get one, but i'm afraid i'm gonna start thinking riding will be laborious then it is fun. I don't want to put some much concentration into balancing a bike at idle.
5'8" then your good to go - I am 5'8" and I have no problems (except backing up on a upward slop) I just get off and push it.

I can flat foot the zx6r

at 3'8" I was like damn, he's not getting a ZX6R thats a bit too short

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You should be fine, I'm only like 5"7ish, I have short legs though. I can't flatfoot my 6r ;) doesn't hinder me any, except for backing the bike up. I plan ahead when parking, or move the bike before I hop on! I've ridden other heavier/bigger bikes too, (VTR, RC51) and they were fine too.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:
quote:
You can flat foot without tilting the bike?
Yup both feet on the ground, no problems at all =)
That's awesome, you knwo of anyplaces that seem to sell cheap used 6r's? i hear buying bikes out of state is usually better and chaeper...I live in queens, ny(You do to, i believe)...how much should i be paying for a used one? since retail is around $7.6 grand

Mikey

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've seen 2 really nice 98 ZX6Rs in green/purple for sale this summer. Already sold, both $4800 each on Cycletrader. I wish I would have bought the 1. It was clean, well maintained and loads of aftermarket goods. You should be able to pickup an 00-02 new, held over for $6500. I've seen 00s selling already for like $4900-5500 in excellent shape.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm 5'7" and can flat foot if I'm wearing the right boots.
Guys usually have a longer torso and shorter legs compared to females.
I do sometimes have trouble backing on slope though.
I got my 2001 for $5,400. You just gotta find the right person who just HAS to get rid of the bike. Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
My girlfriend can flat foot my '01 Ninja and she is around
your height.

As I understand the ZX6R has ride height adjustment enabling you
to make it even lower to the ground.

I haven't tried it though (being 6'2")

You'll probably drop it once though - so don't get too attached too
it straight away :)

Dan.

---
'01 ZX6R Blue

·
Registered
147 Posts
i'm 5'5" with a very short inseam and i can get around. also, adjusting the ride height will defeat some of the great supension feel that the 6R has, so if you can bear the stock height, live with it. a used bike will sit a bit lower too since the spring is good and broken in.

billy m.
1998 ZX6R
WTF is a Gixxer?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.