Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short, my friends have grown up dirt biking, and I just started on a ninja 250.

They had sportbikes at one point, some standards and cruisers, and I've had many over the years, but now they ALL have super motos and that seems to be their sticking point.

I have never ridden one but I've ridden with them, and they just jump around and have a fucking blast just going where ever they please.

My only issue is the cost. Why are they so damn expensive?? I would consider a modern day sport bike an achievement of engineering to some degree more so than a dirt bike with 17'' rims and street tires.. Even the scrap would give me more from a sport bike.

Yet, I cannot find one for less than 4k around here.

So I want your guys' input on it, are the sumo's really that crazy fun at riding and what are some downfalls that I'm missing here.. Why doesn't everyone just get one? (if you don't race/cruise, but like having fun) Is it more or less comfortable than a sport bike? Am I going to have to learn a lot compared to riding street all my life? etc... Thanks!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Long story short, my friends have grown up dirt biking, and I just started on a ninja 250.

They had sportbikes at one point, some standards and cruisers, and I've had many over the years, but now they ALL have super motos and that seems to be their sticking point.

I have never ridden one but I've ridden with them, and they just jump around and have a fucking blast just going where ever they please.

My only issue is the cost. Why are they so damn expensive?? I would consider a modern day sport bike an achievement of engineering to some degree more so than a dirt bike with 17'' rims and street tires.. Even the scrap would give me more from a sport bike.

Yet, I cannot find one for less than 4k around here.

So I want your guys' input on it, are the sumo's really that crazy fun at riding and what are some downfalls that I'm missing here.. Why doesn't everyone just get one? (if you don't race/cruise, but like having fun) Is it more or less comfortable than a sport bike? Am I going to have to learn a lot compared to riding street all my life? etc... Thanks!
the price is exatly stops me from having one. i have no idea why its costs so much; the only thing i can think of is the wheels and suspension.

i would do so much illegal curb hoping if i had one

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My friends havegotten tickets for riding on a non-ridable trail. But they are like 125 dollars with no points.

The comparison would be getting caught doing 80mph on a sweeper trying to enjoy the benefits of a sport bike and get slammed with a 200 dollar ticket and risk losing your license if you are seeing high revs in anything above 2nd gear.

Thats at least my issue with the bike I have now.

These super motos passed me, like 2 of them, while I was leaned over in some tight twisties up here. Anything below 50 mph they seem to pass me withen due time, and I remember them on a sportbike.. they lagged. Now they kill it and laugh while they go into a ditch and just rejoin the road when they please. This is in hick land by the way, hunting, pickup trucks and log cabins.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I think they would be fun as shit. I'de be happy with a regular dirty bike but with lights even. The thought of buying one of those new Honda Groms and putting dirt tires on it has even come to mind lol.

The problem is that these moto's do cost way to f-ing much like you said. I'de like to have one to ride in the crappier parts of the year but I am not going to pay liter bike prices for an over glorified dirt bike with a headlight.

Its not the cost of the suspension, that shit doesn't cost the manufactures much to make. They cost that much because since the motorcycle hobby exploded there have been a fair number of people buying them. The prices are just jacked up to match other bikes.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
i'm supposed to be building a CRF450 tard for a friend of mine for the track. best part is, i will ride it at the track as well. he made that decision after taking my VTR250 out for a few sessions ( and i rode his R6) last year at the track.. if and when we ever jump on that project best believe i will have pics and vids. he said my vtr reminded him of a tard and it was the most fun he's had in a long time on two wheels. hes also a riding coach for team pr-motion.. lol so i guess a well set-up 250 is about as close to a tard as you'll get without actually being tarded.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Have you looked at the cost of dirt bikes lately? I know everyone is used to the good old days when dirtbiking was a cheap sport anyone could get into. Now there is just as much technological innovation running on those 450's as there is sitting in your 600. Add the extra stuff to make it street legaland of course it's not cheap.

That being said, I wouldn't do long trips on a single supermoto. Highway would be torture, everything else wooohooo just like that song by Blur. I love my KTM, just wish she was a little lighter hahaha.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Have you looked at the cost of dirt bikes lately? I know everyone is used to the good old days when dirtbiking was a cheap sport anyone could get into. Now there is just as much technological innovation running on those 450's as there is sitting in your 600. Add the extra stuff to make it street legaland of course it's not cheap.

That being said, I wouldn't do long trips on a single supermoto. Highway would be torture, everything else wooohooo just like that song by Blur. I love my KTM, just wish she was a little lighter hahaha.
would yours even be considers a supermoto? its like the same weight if not heavier than 600s no?

i wish they made a vtwin supermoto with the sub 325 weight. i dislike that all the small/mid size ones are single cyls.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I want a supermoto really bad as well. They are so nimble and would be a lot of fun to have in town. Come spring I will either be buying a Z1000 or some type of motard.

·
Powerhungry
37,700 Posts
would yours even be considers a supermoto? its like the same weight if not heavier than 600s no?

i wish they made a vtwin supermoto with the sub 325 weight. i dislike that all the small/mid size ones are single cyls.
whats wrong with a single?
my 450 has ridiculous power. and geared correctly will easily over 100mph all day.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts

I suppose definitions aren't as exacting as they could be. But I'll tell you this, it sure as hell doesn't handle like a sportbike and with over 5" of travel front and rear it'll take whatever roads I throw at it.

A bike is only heavy if you think it is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts