Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it finally happened to me. After years and years of riding, I made a stupid mistake. I was too busy enjoying the sites to judge a turn properly, and went off into some gravel at about 25-30mph.

I have full coverage so the bike will be covered. But anyone have any idea what I might expected my insurance to go to? I pay $680 a year right now (in california). I know your rates and experiences won't be the same for me, but a general idea helps.

I'm 30, been riding motorcycles since I was 17 or so. I've only had my motorcycle endorsement for about a year tho'.

Here are pics just for the trouble of reading my post :D

All the fairings will need to be replaced, plus the crank case cover, handlebars, rear pegs. That is what can be seen.

BTW I'm OK. I dislocated my knee cap but I'll only be slowed for a week. Gear is a Good Thing.

·
Registered
265 Posts
680 a year?, what company you go through? I was looking at progressive and it was about 912 for just liability and theft.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have Farmer's insurance. The rate is cheaper than usual because I also insurance my three cars and house with them. I was paying $600 a year just for liability before I moved all my vehicles to them.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The good thing about California is that you can have your motorcycle on the same policy on your car. I pay $132 a month for full cov on the bike and comp on my car.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks for the info, I don't actually have a bike yet, hopefully in about 2 weeks i'll be on the road, and won't be getting raped for insurance. Clovis huh? i grew up in Fresno.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Go state Farm the only insurance company for a bike... But on the other hand if might be cheaper in the long run to just fix it yourself rather then going threw the insurance company.

Glad your ok!

·
Registered
42 Posts
i pay 350 for the whole year for liabilty and theft, and i live less than 10 min. way from the broder with mexico and when stuff gets stolen it never gets recoverd.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Youve been riding for years and this is the first time you went down???

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah. Well, except for slipping on gravel when trying to park my bike a few times in the past. But those were non-moving accidents :D

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,123 Posts
Originally posted by RedNinja636
Youve been riding for years and this is the first time you went down???

^^^^ Um.......I say congrats to the original poster. He must be a good rider. Thank God I've only been down once in over 20 years of riding and that was at the track. As for your insurance, mine only went up about $30 or so a year and in 3 years (well, 2 now) with a clean record it will go back down and my R1 was totalled. Oh yea, I have St. Farm. Good luck with yours.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
yeh, hurts me to see such a machine like that....hope you get her up and out again real soon...def glad you;re okay!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
what is special about the "special edition" model? flames and rims?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Originally posted by fishinking86
what is special about the "special edition" model? flames and rims?
that's basically it, a few things are a different color too. Such as the stator cover and the Spring adjuster bolts are red.

I would price out everything first before contacting the insurance company...do it fast though. They may ask why you took your time do it. See if the cost is worth it. Personally, if you can afford it, if it's under $1000...pay for it your self. By the looks of things...it may be more. I too have a SE 636 and I went down 2 months ago. Advanced Kawasaki got my parts in very cheap.

Scratch that...after looking at your pics again, I would definitely take it to a dealer for inspection. I noticed a few things from just looking at my bike on a small slide. The front cowling got a hole in it, left mirror broke, stator cover scratched. When I began taking parts off...I noticed alot more stuff was messed up. The aluminium holding the set screw for the left grip was broke...Good luck man. I hope your insurance company doesn't try to tear you a new one.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have no idea what to tell you to expect. If it is your first claim I wouldnt sweat it too much. Glad you are okay. I only pay about half of what you pay and that is for insurance through All State in San Diego. I was grandfathered in before they stopped insuring bikes.

·
Registered
184 Posts
How's the other side of the bike? Clip-on's damaged? Forks?

It looks like your tail end took a beating. You might want to take off the tail fairings and check your subframe. Just in case.

Don't hesitate to take it all apart and check your hose(s), oil pan (as it's aluminum), rims and shift arm. A lot of people over look these things and are not able to be compensated for them.

This will set you back at least a grand. OEM plastics are pricey.

All in all, I'm glad to hear you're ok man.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I decided to take it to the dealer.

They gave an estimate of $7500 in parts. HOWEVER, that estimate had in stuff that did not need to be replaced, at all. They had the frame in there, even though it ONLY had a very minor scratch. Somethings were in there that didn't need to be, such as the rear swing arm, the windshield, the gas tank and some of the black plastics around the tank.

The frame is $1000, the swing arm $650, tank $650, tank-related parts $400. That gets the parts price down to $4800 right away.

To go further, and to answer your question uttt, the right side front fairing is in good shape. I don't HAVE to replace it. That's $300. I don't need the rear pegs replaced because I was going to remove them anyway. That's $100. I don't need a new rear tail light because I still have the stock one.

At this point I'm looking at, say $4500, in OEM parts... from a dealer. I think I'm going to try and get the insurance company cut me an allowance check to fix it myself. I'll have the dealer do the important stuff and get the plastics elsewhere.

BTW, since I'm going through this now, I want to make some points about the insurance. My company, Farmer's, doesn't raise rates unless there are repairs that exceed $600. So reporting that you had an accident doesn't necessarily matter. It's the CLAIM that will matter. And yes, my claim will be >$600, but I just wanted to make that point. It's better to know this stuff BEFORE hand so you know where you have to be sneaky and where you don't. :D

Thanks to being glad I'm well. I'm real glad I'm well, too :D My knee is already good enough to walk pretty straight.

·
Registered
90 Posts
HEy man i went down recently too... We actually seem to have similar damage. I high sided, bike went down on the right side, flipped upside down and slammed the left side hard, crushing my stator cover... By the looks of your front end its worse off than mine was (just cracked) And i still gotta replace the guage bracket, intake tube, triple clamp... And thats just stuff after taking it apart...

Just be glad it didnt flip on ya... My riding is done for the winter :(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.