Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm going to be setting up my bike for a few 1/8th mile drag races and I need help setting my bike up to kick some arse.

Please keep in mind that I need to make quick changes back to street and track so I'm pretty sure gearing will do the trick.

Right now my bike has a two-bros exhaust and jumper mod with bto16's on it, the suspension is set up for track. I've had my bike lowered before and really dont want to have to drop it back down so that is out of the question.

Please post from your experiences on how to make my '07 zx6r a serious competitor in the 1/8 mile 600 class.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
You will be at a major disadvantage by not lowering the bike. If you absolutely insist on not lowering it, I recommend at least getting a strap for the front. This will allow you to lower the front end by pulling the strap. It can be released and returned to stock in a matter of seconds.

I would recommend getting a set of turn-buckle lowering links for the rear and that will allow you to raise and lower the rear in just a few minutes. Lowering your bike will not only improve your 1/8 mile ET by 2-3 tenths, but it will also make you more consistant. Consistantcy is the key to winning drag races. If your ET is all over the place due to wheelstanding then your not going to have a competitive bike.

When racing in the 1/8 mile, I'd recommend -1, +5 for gearing. These engine don't make much torque so they love lots of gearing. If you have any other question, feel free to ask!

·
Registered
479 Posts
+1 Use the gearing stated by punksrfr above he and get the schnitz lowering strap and bracket for the front and four 10mm longer bolts for the front calipers. Also get the adjustable rear links. I have an 07 zx6r myself and I have the same gearing and have run a best of 6.32 1/8th but i'm lowered at stock wheel base with a power commander and ign. module. good luck and let use know how it goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input guys,, i have an adjustable link on the back and i'll look into the strap, when i bought my bike is was lowered to the max and I raised it back up for trackdays.

questions:
Any sites with good prices on sprockets?

will the chain need to be replaced with new sprockets?

is the front strap a homemade thing or do you buy them somewhere?

with this gearing setup how would the bike run on a technical track like msr houston? the reason i ask is cause i'd like to start gearing my bike for the tracks i ride in my area.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
partsunlimited.com is a good place to find sprockets for your bike for a good price, if your chain is worn then yes i would just get new chain and sprockets, also shnitzracing.com has a lowering strap for your bike, but u will need the brackets for the strap to make it work, the strap works just like a tie down strap just with different hooks where it bolts on to and these things work man

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Schnitzracing.com for the strap. Your going to have to evaluate the ridability of the bike at MSR for yourself to see if it's to much. If your able to get enough straightaway speed the -1, +5 is going to limit you to around 140mph depending on your weight. It will try to standup in low speed corners when coming on to the throttle, but if you've ever rode a 1000 on a road circuit this feeling shouldn't be an issue.

If you have a rear stand, changing gearing is a matter of ten minutes, bring your tools and be ready to experiment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I scored a lowering strap,, i'm going to lower the back the night before the event(this saturday night 11-1-08).

I'm thinking about just going one down in the front and running msrh and the drag strip with it... would this be a good idea or should i just get the back sprocket too?

thanks for all yalls help

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Its going to have a hard time in the 60ft and 330ft with just -1 down but it should still be OK. The problem will be the bike will be trying to bog and its going to kill the clutch keeping it from doing so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok fellas,below was my best time. Even though i was eliminated I still had a blast and got a rush like no other drag racing for the first time. Now that I think about it I wish i would have gone 5 up in the back like yall suggested then I would've stomped everyone else and got that trophy. Oh well, maybe next time huh?

r/t .515
60' 1.931
330 4.827
1/8 7.201
MPH 104.21

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
ok fellas,below was my best time. Even though i was eliminated I still had a blast and got a rush like no other drag racing for the first time. Now that I think about it I wish i would have gone 5 up in the back like yall suggested then I would've stomped everyone else and got that trophy. Oh well, maybe next time huh?

r/t .515
60' 1.931
330 4.827
1/8 7.201
MPH 104.21

nice pass man, congrats and welcome to the zone your hooked now bro

·
Registered
479 Posts
Not bad and keep working on that 60ft. my 07 is -1 +5 and that kind of gearing will help your 60ft times alot. I also run around on the highway with that gearing and it's not to buzzy and rpm's are not real high. By the way looks nice and it has a lot more potential left in it, trust me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts