Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a Leo Vince slip on on my 2003 636. I didnt have a problem until I removed the the silencer.

I noticed that when idling, the RPM fluctuates up and down (~800 to 1300 RPM). Also when riding, my pipe backfires occassionally.

Now, are these something I should be really worried about? Do I NEED a PC?

Anyone here have the the same set up?

Thanks,
DZNTS

·
Registered
857 Posts
is it idling when cold it does this because the rpm will do that until the bike is fully warmed up if it is cold...and i get ocasional backfires there normal i have the same pipe

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Leanlow
is it idling when cold it does this because the rpm will do that until the bike is fully warmed up if it is cold...and i get ocasional backfires there normal i have the same pipe
yeah the fluctuation is more noticeable when engine is cold. not so much when engine is warm.

i don't mind the backfiring as much coz i get compliments from it. and it sounds cool. lol

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The Akra does the same thing.

the idle surging goes away after it gets warmed up a bit.

The popping is from the clean air system making the exhaust lean. If you map the PC3 just right, you can eliminate the popping.

Either way, neither should hurt anything.

·
Registered
81 Posts
THE BACKFIRING HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH BACK PRESSURE. IT HAPPENED TO ME ALSO WHEN I PUT A PIPE ON. A REMAP WOULD BE GOOD, NOT SURE THOUGH BECAUSE IM STILL RUNNING IT WITHOUT A REMAP AND IM STILL BACKFIRING. BUT I DIDNT HAVE THE PULSING IDOL. IF SOME ONE FINDS A SOLUTION IM ALL EARS. I HATE COMING UP TO A CORNER AND TRYING TO HAVE A SMOOTH ENTERY THEN THE [email protected] POPIN ON ME.

·
Registered
370 Posts
dont pay 300$ so you stop back [email protected]!!!!

i see people on the street gawking at my bike like its a lion from hell when it popps on decel after 2 gear redline!!!

be proud of the POP!

its all normal

·
Registered
343 Posts
My bike did the same thing when I installed the 2 Bros pipe. Power Commander solved it right up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Jaxn
anyone think backfiring will get you pulled over?
i mean, backfiring proves you have no cat
last time i checked my bike didnt have a cat ;)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Originally posted by Jaxn
anyone think backfiring will get you pulled over?
i mean, backfiring proves you have no cat
rofl.. they're not gonna be like " OH NO THAT GUY DOESNT HAVE A CAT CONVERTER " more so the noise disturbance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The main cause of the back firing is your air injection system which uses a vacum operated valve to allow fresh air into the exaust flow (after valve) and in doing so burns any unburned hydrocarbons leaving relatively harmeless carbonmonoxide. (Atleast that is what my Kawasaki manual says.) It states that "while in over-run (moving, no throttle) if your bike pops then your air control valve is faulty". Isn't there a mod called Kleen air block off plates which does away with this system and stops the popping? I think so. 25-35bucs or make your own. Im not familiar with most of your guys later model bikes but I know my year kawi up to the early 00's used this system.

Bo

·
Registered
469 Posts
My bike still backfires every once in a while and I have a cat so that theory is wrong. However, I am confused cause as I have always been told or have known that the popping is from being rich and not lean. If you are lean why would you pop if there is no extra fuel, plus that is where the black end to your pipe comes from. There are different theories but I would like to find out more.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The Kleen air block off plates remove the fresh air valve, and block off the ports on top of the head. They completely removed all popping and backfiring. I know several companies make them. The only one I know off hand is Ivan...

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm kinda confused on this as well. The only thing I would guess is that removing the cat allows the bike to run slightly leaner (in the cumbustion chamber) due to the decreased restriction in the exhaust. Removing the cat would also cause the unburnt fuel to pass out into the atmosphere as well. In other words, the combustion chamber is slightly leaner, but the exhaust is richer due to the cat not burning any of the fuel that it used to. When the kleen air crap pumps fresh air into the exhaust system, the unburnt fuel is reoxygenanted causing it to reignite and "pop" while it is in the pipe. Using the block off plates wouldn't allow fresh air to mix with the hot exhaust gasses, causing them to just be blown out the tailpipe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
297 Posts
That would make me think that even with a power commander (that would richen the combustion mixture) the exhaust would still pop (due to it now being even richer w/ the power commander) until the kleen system is removed? This is where I am some what lost.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The PCIII doesn't just make the motor run fat...it's not just gonna dump more fuel. It holds a complete map that will either add or take out fuel at lots of points on your power curve

·
Registered
297 Posts
Makes sense, thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts