Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been track only with my bike for a while now. It has 500 or so track-miles on it. Never been down at the track. But now, whenever I start it, it revs up to 4500 rpms, than oscilates between 1500 and 4500 for almost a minute or so, sometimes less, sometimes longer. Oil is good, but not just changed. The only other weird thing is that when you turn the idle adjustment knob, nothing changes, even after it's done oscillating. Any one experienced this before? Any ideas?

Ian

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
haven't heard of any. may be a idle sensor? check your engine codes. or have a dealer check them.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The up and down idle seems to be commonplace.

I was able to minimize mine by turning up my base idle a hair bit.

Other than that, nothing to worry about so long as everything is running good.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Like Tweak mentioned, ensure the idle is set correctly (~1,200 RPM)... Other than that, ensure the engine vacuum is within spec as this would most definately screw with your idle.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,304 Posts
Originally posted by tweakmon
The up and down idle seems to be commonplace.

Just my humble opinion but an idle that "oscilates" between 1500 and 4500 rpms for more than a minute doesn't seem common place. Does it stay at 4500 for a few seconds and then drop to 1500 for a few and then back up or does it just go up and down without hanging in any one spot?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not sure about the oscilating thing, but last week my idle adjust knob didnt do anything when turned, and while I was messing with it, the whole cable popped out, so either it was already loose and I just caught it when it popped out, or I fiddled with it too much and it came out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The idle doesn't stick in one place it just oscillates back and forth. I haven't checked the cable to see the connection point. I can't set base idle because the idle adjustment cable does nothing when I turn the knob.

Ian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.