Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just a few questions on starting the bike
ive been idling at around 0.8-1.5k rpm's without choke.
Ive been riding slowly to warm the bike up at around 2k rpms. Is this fine? What rpms are you guys idling at before you begin to ride? Do you constantly throttle as well during idle? Do you turn the choke on before starting the bike?
bike is an 09 ninja 250

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
yeah, turn the choke on before starting, you don't need to throttle it as you start, and let it warm up before you ride.

That's what I do anyways.

I'm not sure where the 250 should idle, but the 600's I've ridden are around or slightly under 1.5, literbikes maybe around 1.3 or so.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
i always turn the choke on all the way and start it. then i pull it out of my garage and turn it around. then i put on all my gear. usually by then its warmed up but sometimes i'll give it another minute or two. my idle is around 1400 or so i think, its been a while since ive ridden though. (bike is a 97 ZX7R)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Fine, yes, but not necessary
Not necessary, but the majority of engine damage is caused on short rides due to the engine not being warmed/lubricated. And at least for my 6r, the manual says it should be warmed up a little (until a temp reading). So it's recommended.

·
Registered
415 Posts
same idle for 2k6 zx636r's they are around 1.5k. What harm is there if you started you bike and took off after say 30 secs with the temp not showing up just yet?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ill only use choke if the bike wont run without gas. When it gets to be 85 90 degrees it will start up and not have a problem idling. Colder mornings I let it runs with the choke while I gear, then take it off (choke not my gear) and rev it just a little.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Normally put full choke to start then slowly drop the choke as needed to keep the revs around 3k until the bike starts registering temp. Then I'm fine to start rolling away and will usually drop the choke altogether once temp is above 120 degrees. I usually keep the base idle adjusted to around 1300 rpm warm on my '01 6R.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts