Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a '89 EX250 i've been trying to get this thing to idle correctly with no luck. What happens is when you give it gas it won't idle back right away it will hold at like 2500 RPM's for about 3-5 seconds and then return to about 1000-1200 RPM. I even bought another set of carbs and put on, also i checked the valves and adjusted them, lastly i took some carb cleaner and sprayed all around the boots and carbs to make sure that i didn't have an air leak and i can't seem to find one. Any help would be appreciated. I think it is an air leak somewhere but i'm not sure where.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2006 250r and it routinely idles at 3k. When my bike went in for the 500 mile service, it was idling like that, and it still did after. I never really thought it was a problem until you just mentioned it. I mean, if it red lines at 13k, it seems reasonable to idle at 3.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She rides that with that problem the only thing that i can say is I have a 2005 ZZR600 and it redlines at 13 or whatever and that comes right back down to about 1200rpm so that is why i assume that i have a problem with the thing.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Both of you need to have the carb mixture screws set to 2 1/2 full turns out from fully turned in.
What's happening is that the mixture is too lean at closed throttle, which causes the engine speed to stay high for a little while, and then drop like a rock.

If it was too rich, it would do the exact opposite, drop below the idle rpm speed, then build back up to it.

If it hasn't been done already, you will need to remove the EPA protective plugs that cover the mixture screws.
And while you have the carbs out on that older used bike, you might want to do a full check on the pilot jet circuits just to make sure one of them isn't partially plugged.

Here's a link to another site where I have an intensive step by step instruction on making sure the pilot jets are clear:

http://www.ex500riders.com/kb.php?mode=article&k=18&sid=2bf0bc43c664a2d19616db61ce7fec69

BC.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Yeah you really need to check,I'm having the same problem, just waiting for a rainy day here and i'll rip the carbs out for like the 6th time--- Good luck! I just never idle unless it's a really long red light.. The cars behind me are probably like SPEED up so I can Stop faster asshole! But ohh well~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.