Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble with the bike idling.

This all happened when I changed over to synthetic oil.

When i put the choke on full, start the bike, it doesn’t want to run. It will idle around 1,500 rpms, and if i dont touch the throttle it will stall. I have to play with the throttle for a bit till it warms up and then after about 2 or 3 min. it will idle properly. I do not believe it is a temp problem b/c it has done it when it has been over 90 outside. Before I put in synthetic oil, i could normally start it without any choke and it would warm up fine.

Is it the oil, or do you think that is just a coincidence?

·
Registered
140 Posts
check your air box to see if theres oil in it. If you put too much oil in the bike, the excess oil gets puked out up into the airbox, which makes it run like shit

·
Registered
48 Posts
it is very typical and normal for the ex 250r to have an inconsistent idle, I had a 250 about ten years ago and it nevered idled right.

·
Registered
140 Posts
the 10% ethanol in the gas nowdays made my 250 run like shit untill i started to run 1 gallon of race gas every other tank..then the bike ran perfectly

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Originally posted by Dronetone
it is very typical and normal for the ex 250r to have an inconsistent idle, I had a 250 about ten years ago and it nevered idled right.
Ummn... Wrong.

Have you ever worked on the carbs in the 10 years you've had it?

This spring alone, I worked on 6 different Ninja 250's that had sat for various lengths of time, and had their carbs get gunked up.

After a proper carb cleaning, mixture screw setting, float height setting, and carb synch, each one of those 6 bikes ran better than they did when the owners first bought them,and that was the owners own words, each and every time.

BC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.