Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i decided to go for a ride today before it was supposed to rain, it looked like it was going to start in about an hour so i went for a quick ride...i was gone for about 20 mins, and thats not too far considering i live in chicago) and it started to rain, so i decided to pull under a gas station and let the 1st rain do its thing and then ride home after...2 other guys did the same thingn so we just sat under there and waited for a little bit..then it slowed down so i went on my way home--well i made it all the wayy home just fine, and then i had to pull into my drive way....there is a little hill like raises 2 feet and then the sidewalk and then my drive...we just got new blacktop like a couple weeks ago and wehn i pulled up on it i went slow until i got past the hill, then i hit the gas a little bit and it got wobble and it was so unexpected i dropped it on the right side and snapped tghe mirror of...luckly i got my leg out of the way and it slid for like 10 feet...it scratched just the lower fairing and the handlebar end and thats it, i think i can buff most of them out and shit...so its not so bad, but a frame slider would have helped that 10 mph fall.....sooo yeah just wanted to sshare my story...ill get some pictures after im done being pisseeed

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey man i had a similar accident, don't feel bad. I was leaving my apartment community, it's gated, and on exit kinda leads into the other. The other exit gate was broke open. to make a long story short. She blew the stop sign, i was goin like 5 mph, and with a quickness I locked the front brake up... and down i went. i never thought my head could get to the ground so fast. Luckily I put sliders on the bike not 15 min earlier. and yes they work wonders. A little scratch on the tail fender, on the left rear peg and broke like 2 inches off the clutch lever, wich i like better. learning experience that turned out ...not so bad.

·
Registered
413 Posts
From what i've heard they're not saving plastics. I returned mine and got some other stuff. They're supposed to save the frame. Otherwise they'd be called plastic sliders.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ya i was parked on a slight downward slope one time and went to start it up, when it was idling and i put my helmet on it rolled just a squinch enough to collapse the kickstand, bike fell over.

Little tiny mark on the rear tail and a scrape on the mirror, thats IT because of my frame sliders, not a mark on the front cowl or left side fairing

·
Registered
413 Posts
He said his slid for about 10 feet. Sliding for 10 feet /= falling over on the kickstand. While it may have REDUCED the damage, it would not have prevented it. They're meant for protecting the frame from impacts at speed, not the plastics! Countless people have reiterated that. I'm not telling anyone to not get them, but if you do get them, don't have expectations of them being insurance for your plastics.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well they cant hurt, thats for sure, all i know is if they wernt there when it fell it would of marked up my fairing or cracked it

·
Registered
138 Posts
Frame sliders saved me. Mostly just from accidental knock overs in the driveway. Thats basically what I got them for anyways. They stick out further than the expensive fairings so I said what the hell, and got them, Im glad I did.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well they cant hurt, thats for sure, all i know is if they wernt there when it fell it would of marked up my fairing or cracked it
that's not true in all cases. i had some on my 02 zx-9r and it fell off the kick stand, because of the sliders it cracked the side fairing instead of just scraping it. so instead of being able to just paint it, it needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
doesnt really matter if u have sliders... ur tank is gonna smack the ground... I learned that the hard way...still i wish i had sliders or race railz on my bike when i went down... def would have saved my mid fairings

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sliders

I bought sliders online before I even bought my bike. I took them to the dealer and they installed them when I picked up the new bike.

First day of riding the new bike I park it in my garage. I wasn't used to that crappy sidestand on the 6R and next thing I know I am wedged up against the wall in the garage with a hole in the drywall from my left shoulder and my brand new bike that is approx. 7 hours old is lying on its left side.

The good news is that only one little scratch on the left mirror and no damage at all to the fairings or lever.

Moral of the Story: Frame sliders can save you a lot of grief and money.

Second Moral of the Story: The sidestand on the 6R is a piece of crap.:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what i do think helped me a shit load is the fact that
1. the drive was new blacktop and was smooth and prly had the oil in the rain water
2. i waxed my bike 2 days before so it made it really slippery so when i went down it helped it slide on the water and oil and wax and not dig in too hard in the plastics...
today i went out and took all the black top off with turtle wax bug and tar remover and only thing showing are the scratches which arent even that bad!!!! i was pretty happy to see that...i thihnk i might be able to clean those up a little more---and since my mirror cracked off what do you guys think...buy cool new ones? like carbon fiber? or take the other one off and cap the holes and rock the no mirror look....hmmmmmmm:rolleyes:

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
No one makes actual carbon fiber mirrors - just carbon fiber look... they look like ASS. I want to slap anyone in the face with a frying pan for buying that shit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ya i was parked on a slight downward slope one time and went to start it up, when it was idling and i put my helmet on it rolled just a squinch enough to collapse the kickstand, bike fell over.

Little tiny mark on the rear tail and a scrape on the mirror, thats IT because of my frame sliders, not a mark on the front cowl or left side fairing
The exact same thing happened to me. Althought my front fairing cracked at the corner and my left mirror broke off. Below my left frame slider the plastic got scratched and my left side of the rear tail got scratched. Along with my pegs. Learned my lesson, leave it in gear if you're on a slope.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts